Mee Siam is a Malaysian favorite often served during public functions. This spicy and flavorful…
Mee Goreng in the Prairie, an adapted version of the ever popular Mee Goreng using instant ramen, Spam, and chili spice mix. All other ingredients remain the same.
Mee Goreng literally means fried noodles in Malay. The main ingredients are yellow noodles, chilies, tomatoes, and eggs. Other ingredients may include shrimps, fried tofu, and bean sprouts. It is a much enjoyed street food in Malaysia and Singapore.
Ro-Ri San’s Mee Goreng
As Ro-Ri San assumes kitchen duty this weekend, Ro-Taro requested for him to make Mee Goreng in the Prairie, an adapted version using easily available ingredients here. Over the years, Ro-Ri San has tweaked and adapted the recipe to our liking. A twist to this version is the addition of Spam (a.k.a. luncheon meat) and chili spice mix. Instant ramen is used instead of fresh yellow noodles because the latter is not easily available here.
This dish is definitely not authentic but we love it. Actually, it is quite delicious and Ro-Ri San don’t make it often enough…hint, hint! Don’t omit the lime wedges. They are a must! Anyway, I am always thankful when Ro-Ri San assumes kitchen duty. A girl needs a rest especially during the weekends.
This dish does take a little time to prepare but it is well worth the effort. Spam may be substituted with shrimps or eggs if preferred. Do give it a try. It makes a wonderful weekend lunch.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Mee Goreng
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Mee Goreng in the Prairie
- 4 packets instant ramen (12 oz/340g)
- 1 pack extra firm tofu sliced into 1¼-in x ½-in x ½-in pieces (12 oz/340g)
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil (80ml)
- 1 can Spam Lite (cubed) (12 oz/3340g)
- 1 medium onion (cubed)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red chili (sliced)
- 1 green chili (sliced)
- 4 small potatoes (boiled, peeled, and cubed)
- 2 tbsp McCormick chili mix
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60ml)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (cubed)
- 8 oz bean sprouts (trimmed) (225g)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Boiled noodles in a large pot of water for about 2 minutes. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Fry tofu until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining vegetable oil. Brown spam and onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, red and green chilies, potatoes, pan fried tofu, and 1 tablespoon McCormick chili mix. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add noodles, soy sauce, and remaining McCormick chili mix. Stir to get everything well coated and well mixed.
- Finally add tomatoes and bean sprouts. Stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately with lime wedges.
NOTE: This post was updated on June 29th, 2013 with new write-up and pictures. No changes were made to the recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎