Quick and easy Chicken Mushroom Udon Soup with minimum prep work. It is light, tasty, and satisfying. Perfect for lunch!
Here in the Upper Midwest, spring hasn’t quite sprung yet. Between the deep freeze of winter and May flowers, we tend to steer an uneven path with blustery days aplenty. Rather than firing up the grill, this season is best handled with lighter comfort food to keep away the chills.
For the noodle lover, this bowl of Chicken Mushroom Udon Soup will surely hit the sweet spot. It is light and tasty, yet warm and comforting. Perfect for lunch on a chilly day!
Fresh udon is not as easily available here in Minnesota. Fortunately, there is dried udon. Like a lot of pasta, dried udon takes about 12 minutes to cook. Once cooked, a thorough rinse is recommended to remove excessive starch. This prevents the noodles from sticking together and keeps the broth the noodles are in remain clear.
For convenience, I used regular button mushrooms. You can use shiitake mushrooms if preferred. It is not necessary to precook the baby spinach. Pouring hot broth over them is sufficient to wilt and cook them almost instantly.
Tools Used in Making This Chicken Mushroom Udon Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Chicken Mushroom Udon Soup
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add dried udon and cook for approximately 12 minutes. Drain noodles in a metal strainer and rinse with cold water. Divide into 4 bowls.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add chicken breast and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Remove chicken breast with tongs. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Divide into 4 portions and place on top of noodles in each bowl.
- Add sliced mushroom and fish sauce to the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Allow soup to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Place a handful of baby spinach on top of noodles in each bowl.
- Immediately ladle boiling broth and mushrooms into each bowl. Garnish with sliced green onions and fried shallots. Drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil.
- Serve immediately.
Chicken Mushroom Udon Soup – Chilly Day Comfort Food
This noodle soup is my kind of food. It is a bowl of comfort on a chilly day. Do give it a try. I think you will enjoy it.
If you have not entered my Epiphanie Camera Bag Giveaway, please do so now. You may be the lucky winner of a beautiful in-stock Epiphanie camera bag of your choice. It is an opportunity you do not want to miss. Just click on the picture or link above to enter.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎