Easy Chicken Rice Flake Noodle Soup, the perfect antidote for a cold day. Tender rice flake noodles in a clear tasty broth. Only minutes to prepare.
Winter is not letting up even though we are almost at the end of February. Temperatures dive to below zero again this week. No point fretting. I am just going to stay indoors and cook myself some soup. I made this Chicken Rice Flake Noodle Soup for lunch yesterday. It was so quick and easy to prepare and it certainly warmed me up. I was a happy camper.
Rice Flake Noodles
Rice flake noodles known as koay chiap in Fujianese are pieces of translucent flat rice noodles. They usually come dry and can be used in soups and stir fries. They should be soften in warm water before use but I normally just skip this step when adding to soups. It takes only 3 to 4 minutes to cook from the dry form and probably only 1 to 2 minutes after being soaked. Once cooked, they turn an opaque white and are deliciously tender to the bite.
Rice flake noodles are a great addition to the pantry. When you are in the mood for something like and soupy, just add a handful of it to any clear soup and you have a warm and satisfying meal in front of you. They are also naturally gluten free.
Green Leafy Vegetables
Choy sum/chai sim/菜心 also known as yu chai, oilseed rape, or Chinese flowering cabbage is a very popular vegetable among the Chinese. For pictures and details, please check out my Yu Choy Sum post. It may be substituted with other green leafy vegetable like baby bok choy, spinach, or kale.
Tools Used in Making This Chicken Rice Flake Noodle Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Chicken Rice Flake Soup
- 2 oz chicken breast (thinly sliced) (56g)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- A dash of ground pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1½ cups water (360ml)
- Salt to taste
- 2 oz rice flakes (56g)
- 5 medium shrimps (shelled and deveined)
- 2 stalks choy sum (also known as yu chai)
- 1 green onion (thinly sliced)
- A few drops of sesame oil
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, and ground pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook until it turns opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in water. Bring it to a boil and season with salt. Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add rice flakes and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimps and choy sum and cook for another 2 minutes or until shrimps are pink and curled.
- Transfer to a bowl. Garnish with green onion and drizzle with sesame oil.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎