This Kimchi Fried Rice is a delicious way to use up over-ripe kimchi and day old rice. Top with a fried egg for a tasty and satisfying meal.
Fried rice is a staple in the Ro-Ri household and it frequently appears on the table. This quick and simple dish is a complete meal in itself. It can be loaded up with all kinds of meats like minced pork, sausages, and shrimps. The vegetables may include cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, sweet green peas, and zucchinis, just to name a few.
I usually cook our fried rice in two batches as fried rice tastes better made in small quantities. This works out really well for us as I am able to spice it up for Ro-Ri San and me while keeping it mild for the boys.
This past weekend I made Kimchi Fried Rice with some mature kimchi I had left in the refrigerator. I also added some dried shrimps to give it an umami flavor. Dried shrimps may be substituted with fresh shrimps, ham, or minced pork if preferred.
Tools Used in Making This Kimchi Fried Rice
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
• T-fal Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Anti-Warp Base Glass Lid Cookware, 12-Inch, Gray
• Le Creuset of America Craft Series Medium Spatula – Marseille
For more tools and products used in my kitchen, please check out Roti n Rice’s Amazon Page.
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup dried shrimp (soaked and drained) (40g)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup kimchi (chopped) (200g)
- ½ cup frozen green peas (75g)
- 3 cups day old rice (450g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 fried eggs (optional)
- In a large non-stick pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Fry dried shrimp till crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Sauté minced garlic for 1 minute. Add chopped kimchi and fry for 2 minutes. Add frozen peas and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add rice, soy sauce, and pepper. Stir to get everything well mixed and cook until rice is dry and fluffy. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Finally, mix in the fried shrimp. Give it a good stir. Turn off heat and transfer to serving plates.
- Sprinkle sliced green onions on the top and serve immediately.
Homemade Napa Cabbage Kimchi
If you are interested to make your own Napa Cabbage Kimchi please click on the picture below to get to the recipe.
Kimchi Fried Rice is often served with a “sunny-side” egg on the top. It is just as delicious with or without the egg. The choice is yours.
NOTE: This post was updated on October 9th, 2014 with new pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply