Use the abundance of fall harvest fruits and veggies in this Roasted Apples, Squash, and…
This Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples with a balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction sauce is sure to please. Delicious with mashed potatoes.
Grapes are currently in season and at their best. They are huge, juicy, and very sweet. The prices are also lowest at this time and I usually buy two to three pounds each week. I like to get a mix of green, red, and black grapes. They make wonderful snacks and are great for the bento boxes.
Although we eat a lot of grapes, I have never thought of cooking with them until now. I have seen quite a few recipes but this one combining Italian sausages and grapes over at Pam’s Midwest Kitchen Korner caught my eye. I really like the idea of the balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction sauce over the Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples.
Pam used a combination of red and green grapes but said that the color and type really did not matter. I used black grapes as it was the only variety I had on hand then. As I did not have enough grapes, I added two Honeycrisp apples. The preparation was a breeze with store bought fully cooked all natural sweet Italian sausages. I also roasted some sweet potato squashes and my favorite squash for the season, in the same oven. Dinner was ready in under 45 minutes. It was delicious! I like the slightly tangy sauce on the sweet fruits and sausages. This Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes and Apples recipe is definitely a keeper!
- 8 fully cooked sweet Italian sausage (about 1½ pounds/675g)
- 1 lb seedless grapes (450g)
- 2 apples (cored and sliced ½-inch thick)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar (90ml)
- ½ cup dry red wine (60ml)
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Melt butter in a large cast iron pan. Add grapes and apples and toss to coat, about 3 to 4 minutes. With thongs, push cooked sausages into the fruits. Place pan in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- When done, transfer sausages, grapes, and apples with a slotted spoon to a warm serving dish. Place pan on stove over medium heat. Pour in balsamic vinegar and red wine. Stir to scrape up browned bits in pan and cook till sauce is thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour over sausages, grapes, and apples. Serve immediately.
This tasty dish is delicious served with mashed potatoes or roasted squash. YUM!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎