Salted Egg Drop Soup - a twist on a popular classic made even more tasty…
These delicious Savory Egg Muffins are great for breakfast or mid morning snack. They will keep you energized and satisfied through the morning.
Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful break. I certainly did even though it was brutally cold here in Minnesota during the Christmas holidays. The windchill on Saturday, December 30th went down to -38˚F (-39˚C) and this sub zero temperature is supposed to continue right through to the weekend…brrr!
Such cold weather calls for comfort food and so I am going to start the year with these Savory Egg Muffins. I actually made these on Sunday for breakfast. We each had two of these freshly baked muffins hot out of the oven before heading to church. They were warm, comforting, and quite delicious.
Initially, I was planning to use kale and mushrooms in these Savory Egg Muffins but the cold weather discouraged me from going to the grocery store. I know I’ll have to go at some point but I am sitting it out for now. So, I used the bell pepper and some cherry tomatoes I had in the refrigerator instead. Glad to say they turned out beautifully and we enjoyed them a lot.
Tools Used in Making These Savory Egg Muffins
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 6 slices of white bread (cubed)
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- ½ tsp ground pepper (divided)
- 2 tbsp butter (melted)
- ½ green bell pepper (cubed)
- 18 cherry tomatoes (cut into halves)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese (4oz/113g)
- Grease a non-stick 12 cup muffin pan. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combined cubed bread, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well. Press seasoned cubed bread into the base of each muffin cup.
- Top each muffin cup with some cubed green bell pepper and 3 cherry tomato halves.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, and low fat milk until combined. Fill each muffin cup with the egg mixture.
- Top each muffin cup with shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
These Savory Egg Muffins are great for breakfast or a mid morning snack. You can easily pack them in a lunchbox for work or school. They are also delicious eaten with a dash of hot sauce.