This Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is an all season comfort food complete with carrots, celery, and potatoes. Delicious with crusty bread or rice.
In every family there are often some dishes that are cooked year round regardless of season. At our home, this Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is one of them. For us, this is comfort food and any time is a good time for this warm, delicious, and comforting stew. Sometimes I cook it on the stove but if I remember to thaw the chicken the night before, I like to cook it in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Using Pantry and Refrigerator Staples
This recipe calls for onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and celery which are common pantry and refrigerator staples. If you grow your own herbs in the warmer months, use fresh thyme. In the colder months, dried thyme will do just fine. The bone-in chicken breasts can easily be substituted with chicken thighs or whatever cut of chicken you prefer.
Browning for a Richer Flavor
Browning the chicken and vegetables give a richer flavor and color to the dish. I know it is an extra step but trust me, it is totally worth the effort. After the initial preparation, you can leave the slow cooker to do the rest of the work. Go do other things secure with the knowledge that dinner will be ready 4 hours later.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 bone-in chicken breasts (trimmed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 onion (peeled and sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (cut crosswise into ¼ inch pieces)
- 3 medium carrot (peeled and cut crosswise into ½ inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 to 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken breasts. In a large heavy bottom pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Brown chicken breasts, approximately 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to slow cooker insert. Add cubed potatoes.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the pan. Fry onion, celery, and carrots for 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and thyme and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in 1 cup (240ml) water. Add Worcestershire sauce. When sauce comes to a boil, add salt to taste.
- Turn off stove and pour contents over chicken and potatoes in slow cooker insert. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Serve this warm, tender, and delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Stew with crusty bread or rice. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Have a wonderful day! 😎