Few things are more comforting than coming home to this easy and deliciously creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup. It’s a Minnesotan favorite!
To date, the most popular recipe on this blog is non other than my version of Minnesota’s ever popular Chicken Wild Rice Soup. This hearty soup is a delight in the warmer months and a comfort in the colder months. A such, I cook this soup year round.
Many have asked for a slow cooker version and so I have decided to list down the steps in this recipe. The ingredients are essentially the same except for a minor change. The previous version calls for vegetable oil to saute the vegetables at the beginning. This Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup uses butter to make the roux towards the end. This gives the soup a deeper and more rounded flavor.
For convenience, I used some leftover rotisserie chicken which I simply shredded. You can use cubed fresh chicken if preferred.
Related Products Used in Making This Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 large stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded) (300g)
- 1 cup wild rice (uncooked ) (170g)
- 8 oz mushrooms (stems removed and sliced) (225g)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken stock / broth (1.9 liters)
- 1 cup milk (240 ml)
- ½ stick butter (4 tbsp/56g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (75g)
- 1 cup water (240ml)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup parsley (chopped) (25g)
- Place onions, carrots, celery, chicken, wild rice, mushrooms, and dried thyme in the slow cooker insert.
- Pour in the chicken stock. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- About 45 minutes before soup is ready, pour in the milk.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add all-purpose flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Then add 1 cup (240ml) water and continue to stir.
- Immediately pour this mixture into the soup.
- Add salt and pepper. Then give it a good stir. If soup is a little too thick, add a little more chicken stock or water to desired consistency. Cover and allow soup to finish cooking in the slow cooker.
- Stir in chopped parsley just before serving.
This thick, hearty, and creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a joy to come back to after a long day at work. It is so comforting and satisfying served with a thick slice of crusty bread.
Stove Top Version
I’ve got you covered if you want the soup in less than a couple of hours. Here is my stove top version. Please click on the picture below to get to the post.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎