Treat your family to this Slow Cooker Honey Spare Ribs. It is juicy, flavorful, and…
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this fuss free Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage. Only 15 minutes of prep work for a delicious meal to feed a crowd.
Every year on St.Patrick’s Day, I make corned beef and cabbage because the family enjoys it very much. Although we are not even remotely of Irish descend, I was told that on St. Patrick’s Day we are all Irish. That works for us and we need no further convincing. 🙂 This blog is a little more than 3 years old and I have never written a post for this dish. I figured it is about time I document the steps taken for its preparation as corned beef is sold throughout the year at the grocery stores. Since the beef has already been cured, this is more a set of instructions than it is a recipe.
Slow or Pressure Cooked
I have two methods of preparing corned beef depending on my preparedness and the amount of time available before a meal. The meat is allowed to hangout leisurely in the slow cooker all day if I remember to put it in there in the morning. It will be put under pressure if it needs to be on the table soon. This still takes about an hour and a little more to cook the vegetables. I like to cook the vegetables separate from the meat because I prefer them whole and not mushy. Once the meat is done, the vegetables are cooked on the stove with the reserved liquid and spices.
This was my very first time adding turnips to the mix of vegetables. I read that turnips can be a little bitter and the smaller ones tend to be a little less so and sweeter. I decided to peel the turnip and cut it into chunks so that it cooks faster. They turned out surprisingly sweet and not bitter at all, at least not that I can detect. It does combine really well with the rest of the vegetables and beef and I will definitely include it the next time.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2¼ lbs flat cut corned beef (1 kg)
- 1 packet spice mix included with corned beef
- 1 lb baby potatoes (scrubbed) (450g)
- 1 small turnip (peeled and cut into chunks) (8 oz/225g)
- 2 medium size carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
- ½ head cabbage (cut into wedges) (1 lb/450g)
- Soda bread
- Place corned beef with fat side up in the slow cooker insert. Sprinkle spice mix on the top. Pour in 2 cups (480ml) water. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker and wrap in foil. Keep warm in the oven.
- Pour liquid and spices from slow cooker into a medium sized pot. Add 1 cup (240ml) water. Bring to a boil.
- Add baby potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add turnip and carrots and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Remove and place on a platter.
- Add cabbage and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove and place on same platter.
- Remove corned beef from oven and slice into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Serve with soda bread and horseradish.
Look at those beautiful and tender slices of beef slow cooked to perfection. This fuss free Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage is definitely the way to go. It is wonderful for St. Patrick’s Day or a weekend dinner.
Other St. Patrick’s Day Dishes
You may also want to check out some of the other St. Patrick’s Day dishes on this blog. Simply click on the image to view the recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎