This delicious Stir-Fry Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp is a twist on the classic Jiu Hu…
Make a light and incredibly tasty salad or meal with this Spaghetti Squash with Arugula Pesto. It is perfect for those on a gluten free diet.
Spaghetti squash is my favorite squash of the season. I really enjoy the vegetable-like strands of flesh that resemble spaghetti, hence its name. This squash is a nutritious low-calorie and gluten-free substitute for pasta. It works well with most sauces. I made an Asian inspired dish, Stir-Fry Spaghetti Squash with Shrimps, with it the last time and so I decided on a more Western approach this time.
I had seen recipes on the internet using arugula for pesto and wanted to give it a try. Organic baby arugula was on a BOGO (buy one get one) sale this week and so I picked up two bags at the grocery store. Since pine nuts are costly, I decided to use sliced almonds instead. I also bought a bag of shredded parmesan cheese and a lemon. I had all the ingredients including extra virgin olive oil in the pantry and was excited to get home to put this Spaghetti Squash with Arugula Pesto dish together.
The pesto was slightly bitter but not overly so. I think using baby arugula helped. The bitterness was also tempered by the almonds and parmesan cheese. In fact, I thought it went really well with the lightly flavored spaghetti squash. I enjoyed the dish and so did Ro-Ri San and Ro-Jiro. It was light and delicious, perfect for lunch. The lemon juice gave it a nice zing!
I did not think it was necessary to toast the sliced almonds so that the pesto remained buttery. Please go ahead and toast it if you prefer.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Spaghetti Squash with Arugula Pesto
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Spaghetti Squash with Arugula Pesto
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs /1.4 kgs)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly grated pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula plus a little extra for garnishing (4 oz/115g)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds plus a little extra for garnishing (25g)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (28g)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (120ml)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Split the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place on a baking dish with cut side down and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven. When cool enough to handle, use a fork to gently scrape around the edge of the squash to shred the pulp into strands.
- Toss strands of spaghetti squash with lemon juice, salt, and freshly grated pepper.
- Combine arugula, garlic, sliced almonds, parmesan cheese, and salt in a food processor. Give it a few pulses. With machine running, gradually add olive oil through the feed tube of food processor. Process until smooth.
- To serve, toss flavored spaghetti squash with desired amount of pesto. Garnish with extra arugula and sliced almonds.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎