Quick, easy, and deliciously smoky Roasted Eggplant with Garlic Soy Dressing. Eggplant may be grilled…
Steamed Tofu with Garlic Soy Dressing – a healthy and delicious side dish to go with rice. Only 12 minutes to prepare using the microwave.
Tofu is very versatile and can be prepared in many ways. Its mild flavor makes it a wonderful addition to stir-fries, soups, and other dishes. The texture can vary from very soft to super firm and this normally determines the way it is prepared. Silken tofu is best steamed or added to soups while firm tofu is used in stir-fries and braised dishes.
Tofu as a Side Dish
I absolutely love tofu and incorporate it in some form or other in my daily cooking. At least once a week, I will prepare Steamed Tofu with Garlic Soy Dressing as a side dish on its own. I always have several blocks of tofu in the refrigerator and this dish is a no-brainer as it can be placed on the table in about 10 minutes.
Many of us grew up with some variation of this steamed tofu dish but I like this version best. Mirin is added to the dressing to give it a slightly sweet flavor. Preparation is minimal and no cooking is done on the stove. Using the microwave is quick, easy, and fuss-free.
Similar Products Used in Making This Steamed Tofu with Garlic Soy Dressing
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Panasonic Microwave Oven Stainless Steel, 1.2 Cubic Foot, 1200W
Toshiba Microwave Oven, 0.9 Cu. ft/900W, Black Stainless Steel
Kotobuki Goma Slicky Sesame Seed Grinder
Plastic Sesame Grinder Made in Japan
Steamed Tofu with Garlic Soy Dressing
- Place vegetable oil and garlic in a small microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 1½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave. Add soy sauce and mirin. Stir to combine.
- Remove tofu from container. Drain and place tofu in a separate microwave safe dish. Cover with a piece of wax paper. Place the tofu in the microwave.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 80% power. Reducing the power level prevents tofu from "bursting" or "exploding" during cooking. Alternatively, you can steam tofu in a steamer for 5 minutes.
- Remove tofu from the microwave and drain off excess liquid. Transfer to a serving dish, if preferred.
- Spoon dressing over tofu. Garnish with spring onions and optional toppings (if using).
This dish may be served family style placed in the center or in individual portions as shown here. It is delicious with steamed rice. Do give it a try.
This is a sesame seed grinder and it is a really handy tool to have in the kitchen. Sesame seeds impart a better flavor when toasted and crushed or shaved.
NOTE: This post was updated on March 10th, 2012 with new write-up and pictures. The video was added on April 17th, 2014.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎