Super quick and easy Sugar Snap Peas and Squid Stir Fry in 20 minutes. The squid is tender and juicy while the sugar snap peas are sweet, crunchy, and tasty.
Vegetable gardening is hard work but it can also be a lot of fun when it comes to harvest time. In the past 10 days we harvested about one and a half pounds of sugar snap peas…WOOHOO! They were super sweet and crunchy. As you can imagine, there was a lot of stir frying going on in my kitchen. We like them crunchy and so I only have them in the pan for a few minutes.
The Challenges of Food Blogging and Photography
Doing the photography was a challenge because stir fries are best served as soon as they are out of the pan. I mentioned on Facebook I was going to fry my first harvest of sugar snap peas with shrimps, which I did, but everyone was so excited to taste it that the pictures were done in haste. Hence, they were less than satisfactory. Not to worry because I would surely do a better job in my next harvest.
This time round, I was more prepared. I had my props all set out and was able to take some decent shots of this Sugar Snap Peas and Squid Stir Fry. I think it took me just 3 minutes in all and I was able to quickly transfer the dish to the dining table where the family was waiting.
Food blogging is no small feat especially when the food I cook is the food we eat. Thankfully, I have a very understanding husband and two sons who put up with my constant food photography.
Super Fresh and Super Tasty
This dish stayed on the table no longer than it took me to take these pictures. It must be partly due to the freshness of those sugar snap peas and I would like to believe it is also in part due to my stir frying prowess (ahem! 😉 ). Whatever the case, I hope you will give it a try. The tender, juicy squid and crunchy sugar snap peas were excellent together. The slight heat from those red pepper flakes made the dish even more exciting. Needless to say, a bowl (or maybe two) of steamed rice is in order.
In case you are wondering, the squid came conveniently and beautifully scored. If you intend to do it yourself, be sure to score the inside because squid curls inside out.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Sugar Snap Peas and Squid Stir Fry
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ lb sugar snap peas (stringed) (225g)
- ½ red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ lb squid (cut into bite size pieces and scored on the inside) (225g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Heat a wok or large fry pan. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Fry sugar snap peas and red bell pepper for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the wok. Fry garlic and red pepper flakes for 30 seconds. Add squid and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
- Return sugar snap peas and red bell pepper to the wok. Add soy sauce, Shao Hsing cooking wine, and salt. Fry for another minute.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture. Allow it to thicken. Turn off the stove.
- Drizzle sesame oil on the top. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎