We woke up to a temperature of -10F this morning. For such cold mornings, the…
A classic pantry dinner updated with the addition of broccoli, cauliflower, olives, and lime juice. Perfect for busy weeknights!
Desserts are always fun and I enjoyed the guest post over at Quickies on the Dinner Table. I wish we can have desserts all the time but we do have to have our carbohydrates, vegetables, and protein. Today’s recipe, Tuna Noodle Casserole is a simple and easy one that you have probably made many, many times. I have updated it just a little with the addition of vegetables.
Tuna Noodle Casserole is a pantry dinner, so called because it can be prepared quickly and easily with ingredients from the pantry, some cheese from the fridge, and peas from the freezer. This dish is especially handy when you are running short on time and low on fresh ingredients. There are many variations to the vegetables used but the dish basically has noodles, canned tuna fish, and a creamy white sauce.
Any firm vegetables may be added. I decided to use a mix of broccoli and cauliflower this time. I kept the vegetables crisp to provide texture. I also included some black olives for a contrast of colors and flavors. Though I wanted it to be a little less creamy, the sauce I made wasn’t quite enough. Still it was pretty good with a squirt of lime juice. The recipe below has been adjusted to include more sauce.
- 1½ cups broccoli florets
- 1½ cups cauliflower florets
- 8 oz extra broad noodles (225g)
- ¾ cup black olives (sliced)
- 1 can tuna in water (drained)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup milk (240ml)
- 1 cup chicken broth (240ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Flat leaf parsley (Coarsely chopped to garnish)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Lightly cook broccoli and cauliflower florets for about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove, drain, and set aside.
- Cook noodles according to packaging instructions. Drain and place into a casserole dish. Add cooked vegetables and sliced olives. Crumble tuna on noodles and vegetables.
- In a medium saucepan add olive oil. Stir in all purpose flour. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add dry mustard, milk, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Pour over noodles, vegetables, and tuna. Sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Baked uncovered in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm garnished with parsley. Squeeze lime wedges over noodles, if desired.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎