Quick and easy Yakisoba (Japanese Stir Fried Noodles) with fish cakes, onions, carrots, and cabbage. Makes a delicious and satisfying meal.
We love noodles and eat them several times a week. My pantry is always stocked with all kinds of dried noodles and often times I would have fresh noodles either in the fridge or freezer. A trip to the Asian market is a must when my stock is low. Rice noodles, egg noodles, sweet potato noodles, bean threads, vermicelli, soba, ramen, somen, shirataki, spaghetti, fettucine, penne, and farfalle are some I always have on hand. I also keep a variety of gluten free noodles and recently bought some corn, sorghum, mung bean, and millet noodles that I have yet to try. They look very promising and I hope to do a taste test real soon.
Today’s recipe is a family favorite which uses fresh noodles similar to ramen. Although these noodles are called soba (which is usually made of buckwheat flour), they are yellow in color and are made of regular wheat flour. They come in a package of three servings weighing slightly more than a pound. You can buy them either with or without the sauce base. I prefer to make my own sauce but you can always use the sauce base for a quick and easy meal.
The Fish Cakes
Fish cakes are often used in Asian noodles. They are very tasty and store well in the freezer. You can purchase them at the frozen section of the Asian grocery store. The ones shown here are Japanese style fish cakes sold in bulk. I use them in fried and soupy noodles, and also in a quick version of Oden.
Please use chicken or meat of your choice if you cannot find fish cakes.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Yakisoba
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 oz fish cakes (cut into bite-sized pieces) (170g)
- 1 medium carrot (julienned)
- 1 packet yakisoba (16.5 oz/470g)
- 4 oz cabbage (thinly sliced) (115g)
- 2 green onions (cut into 1½ inch lengths)
- nori strips
- beni-shoga (red pickled ginger)
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat sesame oil. Add onions and garlic and sauté for one minute. Add fish cakes and carrots and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Finally, add noodles, cabbage, and sauce mixture. Stir to get all ingredients well mixed, another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in green onions, turn off heat, and dish onto plate.
- Garnish with nori strips and beni-shoga. Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎