With the diving temperatures and snow on the ground, soups are the ultimate comfort food. I’ve been making a lot of soups lately. They are mostly clear soups to go with our daily rice meals. For cold days, I actually yearn for thick, creamy soups accompanied with crusty bread for a light and satisfying lunch.
This quick and simple Spicy Pumpkin Soup was perfect after the snow clearing. I added pepper flakes, ground ginger and cinnamon to spice it up a little. It was warm and comforting after that “workout” in the snow. For snow pictures, please click here.
It is always best to use fresh pumpkin puree for soups. However, for a quick version I did use the remaining canned pumpkin puree I have left in the refrigerator. Please use whichever you are most comfortable with.
I used a cornstarch mixture to thicken the soup to make it gluten-free. You can make a regular flour roux if you prefer, by adding 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the fry pan.
- 5 cups (1.2 liters) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500g)pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ to ¾ tsp red pepper flakes, depending on heat level desired
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (120ml) half-and-half
- 1½ tbsp corn starch, mixed with ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add pumpkin puree and allow it to simmer on low.
- In a small fry pan, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook until just soften, about one to two minutes. Stir in red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon. Transfer to simmering soup.
- Season with salt. Pour in half-and-half and corn starch mixture. Increase heat to medium. Bring soup back up to a boil. Soup will start to thicken with the cornstarch mixture. Turn off heat.
- Serve warm with gluten-free crackers.
These gluten-free crackers are good to have in the pantry for those of you on a gluten-free diet. They are not inexpensive but they are a quick and convenient option. They do come in a few different flavors.
I am linking this to Friday Shout-Out.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎