Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

One of the fun things about running a food blog is learning and keeping abreast with all things related to food. From the many blogs I visit, I have learnt about different food cultures, cooking techniques, ingredients, cooking gadgets, restaurants, photography, and the likes. This knowledge has caused me to move out of my comfort zone and to give new ingredients and recipes a chance in my kitchen. I have also acquired some interesting kitchen tools, cookware, and tableware in an effort to make the food more presentable.

Photography which was once in the hubby’s domain has become almost an obsession. I have taken over his cameras and have turned parts of our home into mini “studios”. I am the one going around with a camera and have a point and shoot in my purse at all times. All food items have to be photographed and for most parts people are very understanding and good natured about it. Friends and family have been especially sweet, and it touches my heart when they offer their plates for a shot to be taken. I remember my dear dad reminding the rest of the family to hold their chopsticks at a restaurant so that I could take pictures of the food. Everyone happily obliged.

Tutti-frutti

While dreaming up a “unique twist” for the Quickies Noodle Challenge, it suddenly struck me that now is a good time to try that spaghetti squash. Up till now I have never tried this squash but have been curious about it. If you visit this blog regularly, you know that squash is a favorite of mine. I really like the idea of being able to get perfect strands of squash by just scrapping the flesh with the thines of a fork. The other is the ancient fruit, pomegranate. It is a beautiful fruit with those lovely ruby red arils. Pomegranates are in season right now and I am a firm believer of cooking with seasonal produce. It makes sense because it is more economical and ensures the freshest ingredients are used. It also allows the maximum nutritional benefits to be reaped and encourages a more varied diet. Pears, persimmons, kiwi fruit, clementines, grape fruit, and oranges are some of the other fruits in abundance currently. Winter vegetables include squashes, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, kale, and root vegetables like rutabagas and parsnips.

If I were asked today, “What is the most unusual or unique dish I have ever prepared up till now?”, this Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti salad will be the one. This dish has a very unlikely combination of ingredients – spaghetti squash, pomegranate, and kiwi fruit. The color combination is striking and it has an interesting mix of flavors. It is sweet and tangy with a nice crunch to it. The parmesan cheese and walnuts help to mellow the flavors. If you want a conversation dish, give this a try. :)

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

And now, for the task of preparing the pomegranate and squash which are both “first” for me, I searched the web for their preparation methods. First up, I found this awesome step-by-step instruction on peeling a pomegranate. Be sure to wear dark colored clothes while handling the pomegranate as the juice can stain your clothes. Even though I wore an apron, I had a few dots of juice sprayed onto my grey colored shirt.

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

A medium sized pomegranate yields one to one and a half cups of arils. They are gorgeous and look like rubies. The arils with the seeds are eaten whole. They are very juicy and a little tart. The seeds are crunchy.

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

For the spaghetti squash I followed the instructions from this website. There are several different methods of preparation. I chose to split the squash and bake it to save time. The other alternatives are to bake it whole, microwave, or boil it. The best part is to separate the strands of flesh with the fork.

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash from 1 small squash
  • 1 kiwifruit, peel and cut into thin wedges
  • ¼ cup toasted chopped walnuts
  • ¼ cup pomegranate arils
  • ¼ cup shaved parmesan cheese
Dressing
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Split the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place on a baking dish with cut side down and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, use a fork to gently scrape around the edge of the squash to shred the pulp into strands.
  3. Place 2 cups of cooked spaghetti squash, kiwifruit, and chopped walnuts in a large bowl. Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour dressing over squash, fruits, and nuts. Toss to combine. Dish onto serving plate. Top with pomegranate seeds and parmesan cheese.

Tutti-frutti Spa-ghetti

I am sending this to Denise for the Quickies Noodle Challenge.

I am also sending this to Presto Pasta Nights #191 hosted by Denise of Oh Taste n See and Ruth of Once Upon a Feast.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

Wonderful colors and lovely flavors together . I make my fruit salads with similar ingredients but the spaghetti squash i have never tried , may be it is available here …

• Biren says

Thanks Elizabeth! I had fun coming up with the dish but I have to give credit where it is due for the name. It was my hubby (Ro-Ri San who came up with the name :)

2. says

What a beautiful dish Biren! I really need to go pick up a few pomegranates. I have the frozen seeds in my freezer, but they don’t even compare to the fresh ones.

3. says

Holy moley! This is what I have to go against? This beautiful, enticing, healthy, fun looking dish? Ok I better be quiet before I mess up my chances of winning the Quickies challenge even more…teehee. Sha right, as if I even have a chance going up against such great food bloggers such as yourself. I’m still going to enter just for the fun of it and of course to support two of my faves though :-D. Great dish, Biren. I love your creativity and all the different tastes of this unique dish. I absolutely would not mind losing to this awesome dish.

I love learning through food blogging too. And I’ve learned a lot from your blog. Keep blogging the way you blog – loving it! I feel really bad for my hubby and kids and even guests when they have to wait for me to take pictures of the food. But then you’re right, most people are really understanding. I’m starting to play around with my camera, but I have a feeling I may have a mini “studio” in my house soon too. Let’s just hope it doesn’t get too out of hand. Lol.

4. says

PS

I love the name of your dish too. Ok, I love everything about this dish. I just hate that I have to go up against it. Waaah! Have a great weekend, dear 😀

5. says

Wow! This certainly is different. The colours are gorgeous and the textures, a wonderful study of contrasts! I have seen spaghetti squash but I’m not sure why I’ve always just walked past it, though I love squash. I can imagine how much fun it would be to fork out the flesh into noodly strands 😀 I can so imagine dressing the strands with a spicy Thai style dressing and showering it with cooked shrimps, chopped peanuts and lots of cilantro……

Your dish would make such an interesting side for a Thanksgiving dinner.

Thank you so much for supporting the challenge Biren and for submitting such an interesting entry!!

• Biren says

Thanks Denise! It was fun coming up with the dish. I did make an Asian version with the other half of the squash. Your idea sounds really good, a little like the Thai green papaya salad :)

Glad to join the challenge :)

6. says

Oh wow, what a cool recipe! Thanks for sharing it. Hope to try this if I can just get the squash spaghetti here. Hope you’re having a great weekend.
    Kristy

7. says

Biren! I was just thinking about how I want some spaghetti squash yesterday. I love it with butter, but this looks wonderful too. And I like how super healthful it is-an awesome entry to Denise’s challenge for sure…

8. says

First of all, my friends and family are the same way with food photos now, they totally sit back and wait until I get my photos taken, haha. It’s good to have such supportive people around :) I’m so glad you decided to try out some ingredients you’ve never worked with before. It’s great to think outside the box, and I’m glad you had fun putting together this truly unique dish! Thanks for sharing :)

9. says

Very impressive Biren! Your pictures are incredible. The food is just as impressive. Right up my alley – tons of nutritious ingredients and fantastic color. I think of all your blog posts, this is my favorite. :)

10. says

My family is accustomed to my picture taking too and have been very patient. Spaghetti squash is my favorite squash – I love what you’ve done with it! The fruity twist sounds wonderful!

11. says

Thanks for sharing your unique – and oh so inviting pasta dish with Presto Pasta Night. I do hope to see you back often… you and your stunning photos.

Trackbacks