Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups, Awards, and Party

Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups

Tomatoes are a good reminder of warm weather ahead. Today’s Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups is a boon for folks who grow their own tomatoes. For those of us who buy tomatoes from the grocery stores, tomatoes on the vine are a good alternative. While they may cost a little bit more, they tend to have better flavor. They also look very attractive with their deep, red color contrasting beautifully with their green vines. These tomatoes are round and plump, making them perfect candidates for edible cups. Choose firm tomatoes that can retain their their shape after being hollowed out.

A large egg fits nicely in the tomato “cup” and makes a lovely and tasty breakfast dish. Flavor the egg with your choice of fresh or dried herbs and bake in the oven to desired consistency. For a runny yolk, bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Add additional 5 minutes for a firmer yolk. Serve with toast.

Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups

Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 4 medium sized tomatoes on the vine
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Freshly minced or dried tarragon
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice off the tops of tomatoes. Carefully scoop out the pulp. Place tomatoes in a show baking pan. Crack an egg into each tomato cup. Add ¼ tablespoon butter, sprinkle with tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and serve immediately with toast.
Notes
If you prefer your egg yolks to be runny, bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups

And now, for the awards and party…

I would like to thank Carina of Kitchen Groovy, Hyosun Ro of Eating and Living, and Mina of Authentic Vegetarian Recipes for this stylish award.

Many thanks to Elisabeth of Food and Thrift Finds for this sisterhood award.

Thank you also to Mina of Authentic Vegetarian Recipes and Jill of Mad about Macarons! for these awards.

There was an Easter Party tag game going on this past weekend and though it is over, I would still like to thank my three lovely friends for inviting me.

1. Shirley of Welcome to Shirley’s Luxury Haven

2. Lyndsey of The Tiny Skillet

3. Elin of Elinluv’s Tidbits Corner

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

Cool! Reminds me of eggs poached in a tomato sauce. Now I’m interested in trying this method, with a shakshouka style spin. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

2. says

What a great edible container for some delicious baked eggs!! I’ve made baked shirred eggs before (with cream, ham, and yummy veggies) but always in a ramekin. Would be really fun to experiment using tomato cups too :)

3. says

Hi Biren! What a creative & brilliant idea! How about pulp inside the tomato? Did you use it for some other cooking? This is a great breakfast when we have some guests over…very fancy breakfast! This recipe is a keeper!

• Biren says

I ate the pulp as I love eating tomatoes raw. Otherwise, you can use them in stews or soups. Yes, this together with a few strips of bacon would make a nice breakfast for guests. :)

4. says

Tomatoes are one of my favorite parts of summer and I can’t wait until I have some heirlooms to try this out on! The flavor will be exquisite, I’m sure!

5. says

Your eggs baked in tomato cups are such a cute idea, Biren! I recently made eggs baked in toast cups but I really like the idea of using a tomato instead…I’ll definitely try this! A huge congrats on your well-deserved awards!

6. DongXing says

Hi Biren, what a great idea! I shall certainly make this for breakfast one weekend morning. My kids love eggs and fresh tomatoes, and this is a very creative and posh way of serving two great ingredients together. Excellent!

7. says

This is very clever, I love baked tomatoes and usually just have an egg separately, why not now have them cooked together! Thanks for the recipe, I shall be trying it when it gets warm again :)

8. says

I don’t think I have ever seen this, but what a great idea to bake an egg in a tomato! I will definitely try for breakfast soon. Congrats on your three awards! Well deserved.

9. says

I love this idea of baking eggs in tomato cup…it will make a perfect weekend brunch. Congratulations on the well deserved awards. Hope you have a wonderful week Biren :-)

10. says

Tomatoes go so well with eggs…so why not bake eggs in tomatoes? Brilliant idea!! I’d add some cheese and bacon bits on there, too. 😉

11. says

Hey Biren, congrats to all your well deserved awards. What a brilliant idea making the egg this way! Have never thought of it before. I bet it tastes excellent. Thanks for this Easter special recipe. Hope you’re enjoying your weekend.
    Best regards, Kristy

12. says

Congrats on your awards, Biren! This is a dish my daughter might enjoy as well. The colours are very captivating and she likes tomatoes and eggs. Just not sure how she feels about them being cooked together. Haha. Simple and healthy – luv it!

13. Robbie says

Thank you for posting this recipe, Biren! I decided to treat myself to a wonderful brunch of your egg tomato cup and an English muffin. Mmmm, delicious and oh so pretty! It was a perfect pick-me-up, both nutritionally and mentally! Now I’m ready to get on with my day! And congratulations on all of your awards! I love receiving your Facebook posts! Have a wonderful day!

• Biren says

Thank you so much for you kind words, Robbie! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the eggs. They really are pretty in those tomato cups. It is good to know you love the Facebook posts. Thank you for becoming a fan. You have a lovely day too. :)

Trackbacks