Baked Eggs in Shredded Cheese and Potato Cups - start your day right with this…
These freshly Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups with dried herbs make a lovely and tasty breakfast. A great way to use up homegrown or store bought tomatoes on the vine.
Tomatoes are a good reminder of warm weather ahead. Today’s Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups is a boon for folks who grow their own tomatoes. For those of us who buy tomatoes from the grocery stores, tomatoes on the vine are a good alternative. While they may cost a little bit more, they tend to have better flavor. They also look very attractive with their deep, red color contrasting beautifully with their green vines. These tomatoes are round and plump, making them perfect candidates for edible cups. Choose firm tomatoes that can retain their their shape after being hollowed out.
A large egg fits nicely in a tomato “cup” and it makes a lovely breakfast. Flavor the egg with your choice of fresh or dried herbs and bake in the oven to desired consistency. For a runny yolk, bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Add additional 5 minutes for a firmer yolk. Serve with toast.
Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups
- 4 medium tomatoes on the vine
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- Freshly chopped or dried tarragon
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice off the tops of tomatoes. Carefully scoop out the pulp. Place tomatoes in a show baking pan. Crack an egg into each tomato cup. Add ¼ tablespoon butter, sprinkle with tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and serve immediately with toast.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎