Chickpea and Tuna Patties

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Patties are always a favorite at our house. These tasty morsels of food make a wonderful sidedish or snack. They are also great in the bento box as they taste just as good at room temperature. The base for patties is usually potatoes but chickpeas and lentils are often used. They can be flavored with any kind of minced meats, fish, or vegetables.

Patties can also be made vegan by using besan or gram flour. Besan is made of ground chickpeas. When mixed with a little water, it becomes a sticky paste that can be used as an egg replacer. It works really well as a binder for patties and meatloaves. This is an indispensable ingredient for vegans and those with egg allergies.

Note: Cooking the besan mixture takes away the raw taste that may otherwise be present if patties are too thick and not thoroughly cooked through.

Chickpea and Tuna Patties

Yield: 10 to 12 patties

Chickpea and Tuna Patties

• 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
  • 1 onion, cut into chunks
  • 1 can (5 oz) chunk light tuna in water, drained
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 tbsp besan (gram or chickpea flour)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • Canola oil for pan frying

Rinse and drain chickpeas. Place chickpeas and onions in food processor and process coarsely. Remove and empty into a huge bowl. Add tuna, garam masala, salt, and pepper.

In a small saucepan, combine besan and water. Cook stirring till thick and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and pour onto chickpea mixture. Mix well. When cool enough to handle, shape into patties. Pan fry in a large non-stick fry pan with a little oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Fry in two batches if necessary.

Remove and serve immediately.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. Lyndsey says:

They sound really good. I just bought some tinned tuna yesterday, I usually don’t get it because my daughter won’t eat it. This will be great for my bento lunch (I’ll just skip hers) :D

2. rebecca says:

oh these look good I need to try making patties

3. Juliana says:

Biren, these patties look delicious, and I really like them since I am trying to incorporated more chickpeas in our diet…need to look for the chickpea flour. Have a great week!

4. Christine says:

We also like tuna patties at my home. Thanks for sharing!

5. Hm! Tuna and garam masala! I would never think of these combination unless someone suggests me (and thank YOU!). I have garam masala in my cabinet and it’s always…left behind. I will definitely start using more and thanks for the recipe!

6. Sonia says:

Hi Biren, the patties are looking yummy, cant wait to give it a try !

7. Hmm….giving me a great idea for this week!

8. haven’t added chickpeas and tuna together before looks good lovely snack

9. Zoe says:

I like the idea of using chickpeas in these patties. It’s a great to trick fussy kid (like mine) to eat their vege.

10. Suchitra says:

looks great Biren, I guess, I can recreate this dish without the tuna and include veggies/tofu

11. Jabeen says:

so yummy.. perfect for snack.. i have never tried tuna in patties.. love it and bookmarking it..

12. Jill Colonna says:

Biren, Love the look of these. We adore fishcakes in our house but these look so different and tasty. Must give them a try!

13. Victoria says:

I actually love chickpea flour, I’m glad you used it along with regular chickpeas in these patties. Looks delicious and easy to make :) High in protein too!

14. Anncoo says:

WOW! These patties looks so wonderfully delicious. I would like to try these too with your Yakisoba :)

I hope you will give it a try. They are very easy to make and you should have not problems getting the ingredients there. As for the yakisoba, I know you will be able to get all kinds of yummy fish cakes. Wish I had more choices here.

15. Tiffany says:

What a great way to get protein!

16. These patties are perfect for filling the burger :)

17. You are so right, everyone loves a good patty. These are especially terrific because the ingredients are inexpensive and so good for you!

18. I love bergedel, patties, croquettes, fish cakes and company :D This is so easy and sounds so tasty! I actually have everything on hand. How convenient!

19. One can’t go wrong with chickpeas :-)) Those patties with tuna look fabulous!

20. Jun says:

I have been seeing a lot of chickpeas in foodblogs today. It is not a very popular ingredient in Chinese (or Indonesian) cooking, but I am tempted to give this a try. And it is a great idea to pre-cook the flour prior to using

21. blogbytina! says:

yum! I never know what to do with tuna besides boring tuna salad.

22. Very interesting mixture of ingredients. I never had chickpeas and tuna in the same dish. For sure I have to try it. Thanks for the recipe.
    Have a nice day.

23. Cheah says:

I’ve never tried cooking with chickpeas. The patties look delicious and your pictures are just awesome!

Definitely a good idea to use chickpeas rather than potatoes….nice to have an alternative.

25. Bizzy says:

We are a family who loves patties so these would go over beautifully. I am interested in the besan flour. I have never used it before. I am going to look for it, in the stores.

26. Jaclyn says:

yum! i love anything with chickpeas!

feel free to submit your health food photos to: http://www.healthfreakfood.com

it’s a tastespotting-esque type of site but for health foodies.

27. Shu han says:

such a great idea to use chickpeas instead of potatoes, extra fibre and protein! I haven’t tried this but I keep imagining a cross between hummus and tuna pate and burgers hahaha. I can’t wait to try this!

28. Firefly says:

Yum :) I lve how they look, definitely something I’m going to try :)

29. LeQuan says:

Hi Biren,

Sorry I’ve been MIA lately. I’m still trying to catch up on my blog reading after coming back from our vacation. I’ve never heard of Besan before. Thank you for introducing me to this product. Your chickpeas and tuna patties look lovely and perfectly fried to a golden brown colour. I’ve had salmon patties before, but never tuna. These sound wonderful with chickpeas.

30. alex says: