Chickpea and Tuna Patties

Patties are always a favorite at our house. These tasty morsels of food make a wonderful sidedish or snack. They are also great in the bento box as they taste just as good at room temperature. The base for patties is usually potatoes but chickpeas and lentils are often used. They can be flavored with any kind of minced meats, fish, or vegetables.

Patties can also be made vegan by using besan or gram flour. Besan is made of ground chickpeas. When mixed with a little water, it becomes a sticky paste that can be used as an egg replacer. It works really well as a binder for patties and meatloaves. This is an indispensable ingredient for vegans and those with egg allergies.

Note: Cooking the besan mixture takes away the raw taste that may otherwise be present if patties are too thick and not thoroughly cooked through.

Chickpea and Tuna Patties

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 10 to 12 patties
  • 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
  • 1 onion, cut into chunks
  • 1 can (5 oz) chunk light tuna in water, drained
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 tbsp besan (gram or chickpea flour)
  • ⅓ cup water
  • Canola oil for pan frying
  1. Rinse and drain chickpeas. Place chickpeas and onions in food processor and process coarsely. Remove and empty into a huge bowl. Add tuna, garam masala, salt, and pepper.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine besan and water. Cook stirring till thick and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and pour onto chickpea mixture. Mix well. When cool enough to handle, shape into patties. Pan fry in a large non-stick fry pan with a little oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Fry in two batches if necessary.
  3. Remove and serve immediately.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. says

They sound really good. I just bought some tinned tuna yesterday, I usually don’t get it because my daughter won’t eat it. This will be great for my bento lunch (I’ll just skip hers) :D

2. says

Biren, these patties look delicious, and I really like them since I am trying to incorporated more chickpeas in our diet…need to look for the chickpea flour. Have a great week!

3. says

Hm! Tuna and garam masala! I would never think of these combination unless someone suggests me (and thank YOU!). I have garam masala in my cabinet and it’s always…left behind. I will definitely start using more and thanks for the recipe!

4. says

I actually love chickpea flour, I’m glad you used it along with regular chickpeas in these patties. Looks delicious and easy to make :) High in protein too!

• Biren says

I hope you will give it a try. They are very easy to make and you should have not problems getting the ingredients there. As for the yakisoba, I know you will be able to get all kinds of yummy fish cakes. Wish I had more choices here.

5. says

I have been seeing a lot of chickpeas in foodblogs today. It is not a very popular ingredient in Chinese (or Indonesian) cooking, but I am tempted to give this a try. And it is a great idea to pre-cook the flour prior to using

6. says

We are a family who loves patties so these would go over beautifully. I am interested in the besan flour. I have never used it before. I am going to look for it, in the stores.

7. says

such a great idea to use chickpeas instead of potatoes, extra fibre and protein! I haven’t tried this but I keep imagining a cross between hummus and tuna pate and burgers hahaha. I can’t wait to try this!

8. says

Hi Biren,

Sorry I’ve been MIA lately. I’m still trying to catch up on my blog reading after coming back from our vacation. I’ve never heard of Besan before. Thank you for introducing me to this product. Your chickpeas and tuna patties look lovely and perfectly fried to a golden brown colour. I’ve had salmon patties before, but never tuna. These sound wonderful with chickpeas.

Trackbacks