GF Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Chips and Walnuts

Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Chips and Walnuts, perfect for breakfast or snack time. Recipe includes gluten free and traditional versions. | RotiNRice.com

I hope everyone had a good weekend. It was nice and quiet for us. We had the opportunity to sleep in an extra hour on Sunday as Daylight Saving time ended and we moved the clocks back before going to bed. With the days growing shorter and colder, I had changed all the bed covers to flannel and piled on the feather comforters. It was warm and cozy for sleeping in.

But one cannot snuggle in bed for long with an empty stomach. Few things are better than waking up to some delectable spiced Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Chips and Walnuts for breakfast. These are perfect with a cup of hot chocolate, tea or coffee!

I have seen these cinnamon chips at the grocery store and was curious yet hesitant about getting them. My curiosity got the better of me when they appeared in the Pumpkin Muffins made by Cathy of Wives with Knives. Her muffins looked so warm and inviting! As soon as I saw them, I knew instantly that I had to make some real soon. Many thanks Cathy for the inspiration! Perhaps you can make some of these gluten-free ones for your granddaughter. :)

These chips are definitely cinnamony but not overly so. They worked really well in these Pumpkin Muffins and I am sure they will be wonderful in quick breads and cookies too. I think they are seasonal as I have not seen them before. Hopefully there will be sufficient for everyone to try them before the season is out.

Before we go on, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your continued support and kind words on my new profile picture here and on Facebook. It is hard to believe that this blog will be two years old come December 31st. Time for a new profile picture, right? Do click on it or the About tab above to get to my About Me page. Thank you also to all my silent readers and followers who come back post after post, week after week to read my ramblings! ♥♥

Now, let’s get on with the recipe. I changed things up a little and made these muffins gluten-free using a combination of oat flour, tapioca flour, and corn starch. Yes, oat flour is gluten-free but it is best to use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour to be absolutely sure that it is not processed in facilities that handle gluten containing grains.

These muffins turned out really well and seem to puff up a little more than my Gluten-Free Banana Blueberry Muffins. I am not sure if using milk gives better results with gluten-free flour or simply because there was just a little more batter with the addition of pumpkin puree. I used milk in this recipe as I did not have any buttermilk on hand.

The recipe below includes both gluten free and traditional versions.

Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Chips and Walnuts

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12 muffins
Dry Ingredients (Gluten free)
  • ¾ cup (105g) oat flour
  • ¼ cup(60ml) milk
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup (250g) pumpkin puree
Mixed-Ins
  • ¾ cup (170g) cinnamon chips
  • ½ cup (65g) walnuts, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 standard size muffin pan with muffin liners. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
  2. In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients. Using a hand whisk, whisk till combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold in cinnamon chips and walnuts.
  3. Divide batter evenly into lined muffin pan about ⅔ full.
  4. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
  5. Transfer muffins to wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

Biren, I noticed u like using squash & pumpkin in your cooking. Fantastic, as these aren’t easy ingredients. Kudos to u! Oh, I love those bear-bear muffin cups. Sooooooooo cute!

• Biren says

Fall is my favorite season and I do like all those fall produce like squashes, grapes, and apples. My first time using those silicone bear liners. They are cute!

2. says

Hi Biren – I’m so happy you enjoyed this muffin recipe. It has become one of my family’s favorite morning treats. I will definitely be trying your gluten free version for my granddaughter. Thank you so much for your nice words and link to my blog.

• Biren says

These muffins are just delicious! My boys really enjoyed them and couldn’t tell they are gluten-free. I hope your granddaughter enjoys them too. Thank you so much for the recipe. I think I’ll have to run to the store to get more of those cinnamon chips before they run out. :)

3. says

These muffins look so delicious and I love your cutie bear muffin cups!
    I’m gonna keep a look-out for those cinnamon chips now! 😉

4. says

Oh Biren, these muffins look awesome, and I like the idea of cinnamon chips. Beautifully done.
    Hope you have a nice week ahead, and thanks for this yummie recipe :-)

5. says

I’ve never seen or heard of cinnamon chips before. How interesting and I can imagine pumpkin muffins will get even better with more option! The bear muffin cups are so cute! I first thought it wouldn’t fit in the baking pan but they all did! =)

6. says

I am a SAHM too. Cheers! I love the recipes that you post. I am hoping to get hold of this Cinnamon chips that you posted. I am curious on how it will blend with your pumpkin muffin batter. Gonna try this as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing! More power!!!

• Biren says

Hi Anna, so nice of you to visit! :) The cinnamon chips blended well with the batter. They are like spiced cinnamon cake.

7. says

Cinnamon chips are a new ingredient to me as well! They do sound perfect in these muffins. I will have to check out my local supermarket and see if they carry them :)

8. says

The cinnamon chips sound scrumptious here with the pumpkin! Such a nice flavor combo Biren. And I love your teddy bear cupcake tins – so cute!

9. says

Wow! I have never heard of or seen cinnamon chips, especially by Hershey’s. Your muffins look magnificent, and the parchment paper wrapping is a genius idea!
    I sure would love one…or two right now with my coffee:DDD

10. says

Oh my goodness! Those teddy bear moulds are just too much! You wouldn’t believe how wide my grin is right now 😀 The paper muffin moulds look so nostalgic – just like the ones I used to eat when I was much younger. These sound incredibly delicious. I better leave your blog, before I pass out from hunger 😛

• Biren says

This is my first time using those teddy bear molds. Even though my boys are past the age for such stuff, I could not help but get them for my own pleasure. :)

11. Ronda Butcher says

Hello Biren,
    I love your site. I hate to be a pain, but I do have a question. For the recipes that require corn starch, are there any alternatives? My husband can’t have corn and I would love to make these recipes for him.
    Ronda