This Sweet Potato Pecan Bread was inspired by the fall/autumn favorite, candied sweet potatoes. It…
Easy bread machine Sweet Potato Yeast Bread with a tender crumb and golden color topped with sliced almonds. Makes a great sandwich bread.
Apart from squashes, apples, and grapes, another wonderful produce to enjoy at this time of the year is the humble sweet potato. This tasty tuber is a great addition to your fall cooking and baking. The prices start coming down the closer we get to the holidays. I usually buy a few each week in place of regular potatoes and use them in main dishes, side dishes, salads, and desserts. I like them as a snack too, simply roasted and eaten with a dollop of butter.
Sweet Potatoes in Breads
Sweet potatoes are also great in quick breads and yeast breads. They give a tender crumb and a nice golden color to the loaf. Last year, I made a quick bread – Sweet Potato Pecan Bread. This time round, I am going to share a yeast bread recipe with you. I have made this loaf many times, usually minus the topping. I added some sliced almonds this time to give it a “festive” look.
If you love homemade breads but do not have the time to knead and baby-sit the rising and punching down of the dough, a bread machine is a worthwhile investment. Mine is more than 8 years old and it is still working well. I use it at least twice a week.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Sweet Potato Yeast Bread
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 1 cup water (240ml)
- 3 cups unbleached white bread flour (450g)
- 2 tbsp oat bran
- 8 oz cooked sweet potato (mashed) (225g)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp non-fat dry milk
- 1½ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- Pour water into the bread machine pan. Sprinkle flour and oat bran over liquid. Add sweet potatoes over flour. Add butter, sugar, salt, and non-fat dry milk in separate corners of the bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the center and add yeast.
- Snap bread pan into machine and set it to basic setting. Press start.
- Remove kneading paddle after final kneading**.
- When rising cycle is almost complete, just before bread starts to bake, brush the top of loaf with a little water. Sprinkle sliced almonds over the top of the bread pressing the almonds down very gently with your palm.
- When bread is ready, remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Slice the loaf when it cools to room temperature. It is less crumbly and much easier to slice when cool.
Here is my other very popular bread machine Banana Yeast Bread that you may want to try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎