Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing

Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing

Back in the days when I was a kid, charcoal braziers were still commonly used. They were often found in the “wet” kitchen at the back of the house. These stoves were used for cooking dishes requiring long periods of boiling and braising as charcoal was much cheaper than propane gas. Since charcoal fire turned pots black with soot, one pot was usually dedicated for its use. At our house, it almost seemed like the fire was never left to die out. There was always a pot of something on it. More often than not, it was a pot of clear soup which tasted amazingly good because of the slow and long cooking time.

Sometimes a metal rack was placed on the top of the brazier for grilling purposes. Eggplants were a favorite because Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing required only a few simple ingredients. Roasting lends a sweetness and smokiness to the eggplants making them so tasty and delicious eaten with rice. My mom always had a container of prepared shallot or garlic infused oil and this dish was a no brainer. Prep work was minimal as the eggplants were left whole for roasting.

Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing

Since charcoal fire may not be available to many of us today, the next best thing is to roast the eggplants on the grill outside during the warmer seasons. In the winter months, the eggplants may be broiled in the oven. They should be cooked until soft and brown on all sides. The skin should peel off quite easily.

Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 6 servings
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 lbs (900g) Chinese eggplants
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  1. Place vegetable oil and minced garlic in a small microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 1½ minutes. Remove and add soy sauce. Stir to combine.
  2. Preheat the grill to high. Brush some oil on the grates.
  3. Place whole eggplants on the grates and grill or roast for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggplants are brown and soft. Turn eggplants every now and then so that they brown evenly on all sides. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
  4. When eggplants are cool enough to handle, peel to remove the tough skin. Cut into bite size pieces and place on a dish.
  5. Drizzle garlic soy sauce dressing over eggplants and garnish with sliced green onions.
  6. Serve immediately.

Do give these sweet, delicious Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing a try. They are wonderful as a salad or eaten with a bowl of steamed rice.

Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Signature WP

Comments

• Linda says

I would place the baking rack right at the top and set it to broil which is usually between 450 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the oven. Watch the eggplants closely and turn them often or they will burn. The high temperature will cause the skin to blister and char so that it can be peeled. Baking them at lower temperatures will make them too juicy and soft.

1. tranthithanh says

It’s delicious. in our country we usually have it with galic fish sauce. Please, let’s me know the brand name of your grill outside, it’s electric grill? I’m in VN so i can order it through amazon?

• Linda says

Thanks Nic! I have used liquid amino but not coconut amino. It should work if it is a substitute for soy sauce.

• Linda says

Yes, I was referring to Bragg’s. Some years back, I was using only Bragg’s liquid aminos in place of soy sauce. It’s a little expensive but I think it is the closest thing to soy sauce.

• nic says

Somehow I find the coconut amino a little on the sweet side in comparison to the real soy sauce. Hence I add sea salt or himalayan salt to balance the flavour. I might get tamari (as long as it’s non gmo) and test it out!

• Linda says

I guess it is what you are used to and also the kind of food sensitivities you have. I use a variety of soy sauces and always have some San-J tamari in my pantry. However, I prefer soy sauce as it has a more robust flavor suited to Chinese stir fry and braise dishes. It is also more cost effective in my case because soy sauce is my main flavoring in many dishes. Contrary to popular belief, tamari is not wheat free unless specifically labeled. San-J has a wheat free version almost twice the price of their regular tamari. Flavor wise, tamari and soy sauce are very similar and the distinction can clearly only be noticed when it is used as a dipping sauce. It is almost negligible when used in minute amounts in soups or stir fries unless soy sauce is the main flavoring in the dish.

When it comes to salt, my favorite is the Himalayan pink salt. I also like the Hawaiian and Utah rock salts and have several varieties in my pantry. I use them mainly as a flavoring in salads and not in cooking. For everyday cooking, I use sea salt.