This Quinoa Salad with Kabocha and Roasted Garlic makes a light and healthy lunch or…
Quick, easy, and deliciously smoky Roasted Eggplant with Garlic Soy Dressing. Eggplant may be grilled outside or broiled in the oven.
When I was a kid, charcoal braziers were a common fixture in the kitchen. Most families have them in the air well next to the kitchen or in the “wet” kitchen at the back of the house. Dishes requiring long periods of boiling and braising were cooked on these stoves as charcoal was much cheaper than propane gas. Since charcoal fire turned pots black with soot, one pot was usually dedicated for its use. At our house, it almost seemed like the fire was never left to die out. There was always a pot of something simmering on it. More often than not, it was a pot of clear soup which tasted amazingly good because of the slow and long cooking time.
Grilling Over The Charcoal Brazier
Sometimes Mom would place a metal rack on the top of the brazier for grilling purposes. Eggplant were a favorite because Roasted Eggplant with Garlic Soy Dressing required only a few simple ingredients. Roasting lends a sweetness and smokiness to the eggplant, making them so amazingly delicious. Mom always had a container of prepared shallot or garlic infused oil which made this dish a no brainer to prepare. Prep work was kept to a minimum as the eggplant were roasted whole.
Grilled or Broiled
Since charcoal fire may not be available to many of us today, the next best thing is to roast the eggplant on the grill outside during the warmer seasons. In the winter months, simply broil them in the oven. Make sure to cook them until soft and brown on all sides. When that happens, the skin should peel off quite easily.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Roasted Eggplant with Garlic Soy Dressing
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
Winco UT-9 Coiled Spring Heavyweight Stainless Steel Utility Tong, 9-Inch
Silicone Basting | BBQ | Pastry | Oil Brush | Set of 2
AmazonBasics 3-Piece Baking Sheet Set
Roasted Eggplant with Garlic Soy Dressing
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 lbs Chinese eggplant (900g)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- Place vegetable oil and minced garlic in a small microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 1½ minutes. Remove and add soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the grill to high. Brush some oil on the grates.
- Place whole eggplants on the grates and grill or roast for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggplant are brown and soft. Turn eggplant every now and then so that they brown evenly on all sides. Remove and allow them to cool slightly.
- When eggplant are cool enough to handle, peel to remove the tough skin. Cut into bite size pieces and place on a dish.
- Drizzle garlic soy sauce dressing over eggplant and garnish with sliced green onions.
- Serve immediately.
Do give these sweet, delicious Roasted Eggplants with Garlic Soy Dressing a try. They are wonderful as a salad or eaten with a bowl of steamed rice.
NOTE: The original publication of this post was on June 4th, 2014. This republication comes with changes to the writeup but the recipe remains the same.