Chicken meat, corn kernels, and chicken broth make up this easy Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup. A must try when fresh corn is in season.
Soups have always been an important part of the Chinese food culture. They are considered as one of the most nutritious foods and are prepared on a daily basis as part of the meal. For many families, a meal is not complete without a soup. In fact, the Cantonese people often ask their loved ones if they have taken soup as a greeting. Soup is taken throughout the meal together with rice and the other dishes and it is often used to soften the rice for little children.
Chinese soups are generally thin and clear broths. These clear broths are further categorized into quick-boiled or slow-cooked soups. Quick-boil soups are enjoyed for their refreshing and cleansing properties while slow-cooked soups using meats and herbs are treasured for their highly nutritious properties. Thick soups are usually thicken at the end of the cooking process with starches or egg. Milk is rarely if ever used.
My mom is a firm believer in the nutritious benefits of soup. There was soup on the table almost everyday when I was growing up. Whenever anyone of us was under the weather, she would prepare slow-cooked soup to nurse us back to health. Even to this day she continues to cook soup and I had plenty of it when I visited this past summer. 🙂
With the last of summer corn, I decided to make this quick and easy Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup. Fresh corn gives the soup a crunchier texture and clearer appearance. Canned cream corn may be used for a smoother and creamier texture. It will also give the soup a more golden color.
Tools Used in Making This Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Stainless Stockpot with Cover, 6-Quart
Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Spoon Set
Chef Craft Stainless Steel Ladle
Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth (1.5 liters)
- ½ cup cooked chicken (shredded) (100g)
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels (300g)
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp water
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion (thinly sliced)
- Place chicken broth in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Add shredded chicken meat and cooked corn kernels. Allow it to come back to a boil. Lower heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooking wine, salt, and pepper to taste. Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoon water. Pour into soup, stirring to thicken.
- Lower heat and slowly pour beaten egg through fork tines. Gently stir and immediately turn off heat. Drizzle sesame oil into soup.
- Serve in small bowls garnish with sliced green onions.
Leave a Reply