Easy Ham Cabbage Stir Fry with a nice balance of saltiness from the ham and sweetness from the cabbage, carrots, and green beans.
A little meat is often added to Chinese vegetable stir fries to flavor the dish. The meat is usually tiny bits of shrimp, thinly sliced chicken, or pork. It is a matter of preference though, as some families like to keep it vegan. My mom prefers not to use the meat. She would use oyster sauce instead. I like to keep it simple by using just soy sauce and a little rice wine occasionally. However, there are always exception to the “rule” like this Ham Cabbage Stir Fry.
For Easter, I made this 7 pounds Slow Cooker Ham. Even though it was delicious, there was no way the 4 of us could have finished that in one sitting. We enjoyed about a third of it and I apportioned the rest into small baggies for use in fried rice and stir fries. Since ham is a little salty, I like to combine it with sweet vegetables like cabbage and carrots. The green beans were added for a contrast of color and texture as I do like a colorful stir fry.
Other vegetables that may be added include bell peppers and celery. Simply cut them into thin strips so that they will cook quickly and evenly. Always make sure vegetables are well drained before doing a stir fry. Use a salad spinner if necessary. I usually wash and cut my vegetables an hour before cooking so that it has time to drain properly. A soggy stir fry is not a good thing.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Ham Cabbage Stir Fry
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
• Stainless 14-Inch Stir-Fry Pan with Helper Handle and Glass Cover
• Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel Wok Stir Fry Pan, 12-inch
• Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok, 14-inch
• Stainless Steel Professional Wok Turner Spatula
Ham Cabbage Stir Fry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 oz ham (cut into thin strips) (115g)
- 1 carrot (julienned)
- 4 oz green beans (sliced at a diagonal) (115g)
- 1 lb cabbage (thinly sliced and well drained) (450g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Heat a wok or large pan over medium heat. When it is hot, add vegetable oil. Fry ham for about 2 minutes.
- Now, add garlic and fry for 30 seconds followed by carrot and green beans. Fry for 1 minute.
- Then add cabbage and soy sauce. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes over high heat.
- Pour in cornstarch mixture. Stir to combine for another 1 to 2 minutes. Corn starch mixture will thicken. Turn off heat.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Delicious tender crisp Ham Cabbage Stir Fry with a nice balance of saltiness from the ham and sweetness from the cabbage, carrots, and green beans. Great with a bowl of rice!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply