These M&M Coconut Snowball Cookies are a variation on the original recipe with the addition of coconut flakes and white chocolate chips.
We do enjoy M&M Cookies for the holidays. Those bright colored candies that come in so many colors lend a festive look to whatever goodies you are making. With turquoise being my favorite color for the season, I wanted to bake some blue colored cookies and those mini M&M chocolate candy made that easy.
Mini M&M Chocolate Candy
I simply separated a bag of minis into their individual color groupings and used them accordingly. Hence, I made the regular M&M Cookies and also these M&M Coconut Snowball Cookies. I made the regular ones more ball-like instead of flat spread out cookies. These compact shaped cookies also fit better on my Christmas Dessert Board.
The Addition of White Chocolate Chips and Unsweetened Grated Coconut
My two sons enjoy the regular M&M Cookies but they agree with me that the addition of the white chocolate chips and dried unsweetened grated coconut made these cookies even better. The coconut gave the cookies a coconut fragrance and texture. The white chocolate chips made the cookies even more delectable.
Classic snowball cookies a.k.a. Russian tea cakes or Mexican wedding cookies are round cookies filled with chopped nuts. They are rolled in powdered sugar while still warm to give them that white snowball look. I did not do that with my cookies because I wanted the blue colored candies to stand out. You can most definitely roll them in powdered sugar if you prefer.
Keeping The Shape of These M&M Coconut Snowball Cookies
I used a small ice cream scoop to get even sized balls of dough which worked out really well. Do not flatten the dough when you place the formed dough on the cookie sheet. They do take 1 to 2 minutes more of baking since they are not spread out. Do give them a try.
Similar Products Used in Making These M&M Coconut Snowball Cookies
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Hamilton Beach Power Deluxe Hand Mixer
Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Spoon Set
AirBake Nonstick 2 Pack Cookie Sheet Set, 14in x 12in and 16in x 14in
Kitchenatics 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling and Roasting Rack
M&M Coconut Snowball Cookies
- Combine flour and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and beat till dough comes together.
- Mix in mini M&Ms, white chocolate chips, and unsweetened dried grated coconut.
- Use a small ice cream scoop (or you can simply use your hands) to form walnut sized balls. Place them on cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack and store in air tight jars. Consume within a week.