The last batch of muffins I made, Orange Blueberry Streusel Muffins, were not gluten free…
The ever popular Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters) with a gluten free crispy coating. Only a few simple ingredients and minutes to prepare.
Pisang Goreng literally translated means fried bananas. These battered and deep fried bananas are very popular in Malaysia and Singapore. Sold by street vendors, they make great tea time snacks. They are best eaten straight out of the pan while the fried batter is hot and crunchy and the banana is sweet and warm.
Getting the batter right is key to this dish. It should have a light and crispy texture after being deep fried. To achieve this, I use rice flour for the batter and crushed rice cereals for the coating. Once coated, the bananas should be dropped gently into hot oil and fried for just a couple of minutes. For best results, use sweet and ripe but firm bananas. Bananas that are overly ripe will be too soft and soggy after frying.
This recipe is suitable for those on a gluten free diet as the batter is made using rice flour and rice cereals.
Similar Tools Used in Making These Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters)
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Winco UT-9 Coiled Spring Heavyweight Stainless Steel Utility Tong, 9-Inch
Skimmer 6″ diameter
Tin Enamel Mug with Handle 15 fl oz 450 ml (White 2-Pack)
Enamel Drinking Mugs Cups, Bright Colors – 12 ounce, Set of 4
Enamel Coffee Mug, 12 Ounce, Red/Yellow/Blue/Green – Set of 4
Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters)
- 6 ripe but firm bananas (peeled and cut in half cross wise)
- 2 cups rice cereals * (crushed)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 cup rice flour (130g)
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water (120ml)
- Mix all batter ingredients in a large bowl until a thick and smooth batter forms. Place crushed rice cereals on a plate.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, heat about 1 inch deep oil. Dip banana into batter.
- Remove, and roll onto crushed rice cereals until evenly coated.
- Lower gently into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once. It will only take 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
- Rice cereals may be substituted with panko bread crumbs.
Serve Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters) with a warm mug of Teh Tarik (pulled tea), a condensed milk sweetened black tea. This tea is pulled or poured from one mug to another to give it a foamy top. The pulling also improves the taste of the tea. For the preparation of this tea, please check out my post Vadai and Teh Tarik.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎