These Roasted Baby Potatoes are the perfect side dish. They go with everything and are…
This crispier skin Roast Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes is an all time favorite one-pan meal perfect for any time of the year.
Today’s Roast Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes recipe is a basic one that I (and probably many others) have prepared countless of times. The only difference is the preparation of the chicken before it is placed in the oven. Allowing the chicken to drip dry on a beer can roaster makes it possible for the skin to be a little crispier. That is a good thing when it comes to roast chicken.
Beer can roasters are pretty inexpensive and they can be found at most grocery stores. If not, you can certainly purchase one online here. It is a handy tool to have in the kitchen, especially if you enjoy roast chicken. I’ve had mine for years and I use it more often than I thought I would.
In the recipe below, I am using a very basic dry rub. Please feel free to experiment with your favorite herbs and spices. For a more Asian flavor, check out my Chinese Five-Spice Roast Chicken.
Roast Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes
- 1 roasting chicken (3 to 4 lbs/ 1.4 to 1.8 kg)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 onion (cubed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Remove giblets and excessive fat from chicken. Rinse chicken inside out. Pat dry with paper towels. Place beer can roaster on a baking tray and place chicken on the beer can roaster to allow it to drip dry for an hour.
- Combine kosher salt, ground pepper, and dried thyme in a small bowl. Reserve 1 teaspoon dry rub mixture to season vegetables.
- Remove chicken from the roaster. Discard juices and pat dry baking tray with paper towels. Liberally sprinkle or pat dry rub mixture on the inside and outside of the chicken. Place chicken back onto the beer can roaster.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, potatoes, onion, the reserved 1 teaspoon dry rub mixture, and olive oil. Mix well. Transfer onto the baking tray around the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Roast chicken on the beer can roaster for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone registers 180°F.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving.
This Roast Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes will go nicely with this Quinoa Salad or this Warm Asparagus and Wild Rice Salad. I served ours Asian style with steamed rice, Yu Choy Sum, and a bowl of clear soup.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎