These simple and tasty Roasted Cherry Tomatoes are a great way to enjoy the abundance of a fall harvest. Only 20 minutes to prepare.
Our growing season in Minnesota is really short. Last year I had to harvest my giant size Mortgage Lifter tomatoes early because they did not have enough time to ripen before the cold weather set in. This year I decided to grow cherry tomatoes which are supposed to mature quickly. Of course, I did not anticipate that the weather would turn cold earlier and so it looks like I have the same problem once again this year.
With two days of frost last week, I was forced to harvest my entire crop of cherry tomatoes. Both the ripe and green tomatoes weighed about 3¼ pounds with more green than red. I used the ripe tomatoes for this simple and tasty Roasted Cherry Tomatoes side dish and made this Green Tomato Tart with the rest. Thankfully, there are many things I can make with green tomatoes because it is a pity and a waste to thrown them away.
Vine ripen cherry tomatoes are really sweet. They are best eaten fresh with little to no seasoning. In the summer, I like to throw them on the grill in a grill basket when we cook our steaks. This time I had to broil them in the oven and it worked just as nicely. It took only 8 to 10 minutes and they were done. Since I also harvested a whole lot of mint from the garden, I use them as a garnish this time. Fresh basil leaves are a great substitute or you can use a combination of the two, if preferred.
Similar Tools Used in Making These Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- Place oven grating on the top most level. Set oven to broil.
- Brush cast iron grill pan with vegetable oil. Then place cherry tomatoes in the pan, cut side facing up. Brush tomatoes with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle dried thyme, minced garlic, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper over the tomatoes
- Broil (grill) tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil over roasted tomatoes. Sprinkle with chopped mint leaves and serve immediately.
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes make a delicious side dish for grilled meats or fish. They provide a light, fruity, and minty contrast to heavy meat dishes. Do give it a try.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎