These tasty pan fried Sardine Patties are wonderful served as an appetizer, snack, or side dish. They are also gluten free.
Day 3 of the Fish Series features Sardine Patties which are based on the popular Malaysian bergedil or deep fried potato patties. The basic bergedil is made up of mashed potatoes and fried onions. To that one can add chopped cilantro, chilies, and spices. Often a little minced beef, chicken, or fish is also mixed into the patties to give them even greater flavor. I have decided to use the versatile canned sardines instead.
In Malaysia, sardines are regularly used as an ingredient in sambals, curries, pastries, and even sandwiches. There are two varieties of canned sardines. The tall cylindrical cans normally contain the larger fish while the smaller fishes are found in the flat oval cans. Over here, sardines come in flat rectangular cans in a variety of flavors. Two of these little cans make one oval can.
Recently, I discovered besan or chickpea flour. This gluten free flour is high in protein and has a nutty flavor. It is a good substitute for eggs when mixed with an equal proportion of water. Besan is frequently used as a coating or batter for deep fried foods like pakoras. For me it is a God sent because of gluten and egg sensitivities in the family.
- 1¼ lb potatoes (565g)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red chili (chopped)
- 1 can sardines in tomato sauce (7 oz/198g)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 cup brown rice crisps (finely crushed or processed) (70g)
- Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water and boil until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove, drain, and peel. Add salt and pepper. Mash potatoes with a potato masher.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Fry onions and chili for about 3 minutes. Add sardines including sauce, cumin, and paprika. Cook until sauce has evaporated but sardines are still moist, about 5 minutes. Remove and add to mashed potatoes.
- In a small saucepan, combine besan and 1/3 cup (80ml) water. Cook stirring until thick and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and pour over mashed potatoes and sardine mixture. Stir to get everything well mixed. Leave to cool until potato mixture can be handled safely.
- Place some crushed cereals in a small dish. Shape potato mixture into patties. Coat with crushed cereals.
- Heat a large non-stick pan with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Pan fry patties in 2 batches for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: This post was updated on October 23rd, 2013 with new pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply