Szechuan peppercorns are the outer pods of small, reddish brown aromatic prickly ash berries. It…
Quick and easy Spicy Water Spinach Stir Fry flavored with fermented soybean curds and garlic chili sauce. Super tasty with a bowl of steamed rice.
Water Spinach also known as water convolvulus, is a tropical semi aquatic plant grown as a leaf vegetable. It is commonly grown in parts of Asia and Southeast Asia. This vegetable is also called kangkong or ong choy. Stir frying this vegetable with chili and shrimp paste is a popular way of preparing it. This popular stir fry is known as Kangkung Belacan. The shrimp paste (belacan) has a strong odor but provides great flavor. It is widely used in Southeast Asia and has recently made culinary inroads to China and Japan.
Other Methods of Preparation
A simple way of cooking this vegetable is to stir fry it with just minced garlic. One can add chilies and fermented bean curd for greater flavor. This Spicy Water Spinach Fry is best served with steaming bowls of white rice.
Secrets to a Great Spicy Water Spinach Stir Fry
The secret to a great stir-fry is to get the pan really, really hot and have the ingredients well drained. The hot pan will sear the food, sealing in the juices. In the case of vegetables, I like to prepare, wash, and leave them to drain in a colander at least an hour before frying. If time does not permit, I use a salad spinner to get rid of as much water as possible.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Stir Fry Spicy Water Spinach
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Stainless 14-Inch Stir-Fry Pan with Helper Handle and Glass Cover
Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel Wok Stir Fry Pan, 12-inch
Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok, 14-inch
Stainless Steel Professional Wok Turner Spatula
Stir Fry Spicy Water Spinach
- 1 lb kangkung / water spinach / ong choy / convolvulus, cut into 3-inch lengths (450g)
- 3 to 4 fermented soybean curds
- 2 tsp garlic chili sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Be sure to rinse water spinach well as it can be gritty. Allow vegetables to drain in colander for at least an hour or use a salad spinner to get rid of excessive water.
- In a large pan or wok, heat oil. Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add fermented bean curds, mashing with your spatula for another minute. Add garlic chili sauce and stir to combine.
- Quickly add drained water spinach and stir fry on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables are wilted.
- Remove and serve immediately.
A Typical Home-Cooked Meal
Often times an egg or tofu dish is prepared as a filler dish in an Asian meal. These are quick and easy dishes using ingredients from the fridge or pantry. One such dish is my Steamed Tofu. This tofu dish is simple, healthy, and delicious. Only takes about 12 minutes to prepare. All the cooking is done in the microwave and cleanup is minimal.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎