These tasty Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters make delicious snacks and appetizers. They are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Modern technology is amazing. You are reading this post as though I have just written it, while in truth I am somewhere out there in the sky flying towards Malaysia. Blogging can be such a “many-splendored thing” with scheduled posting! In anticipation of my trip to Asia, I have been in a cooking frenzy to populate my folders with postings to fill all of the month of June. I did get a little help from friends in guest postings. Sometimes, it takes a village to run a food blog. 😎 So, please continue to visit and comment and I will try to respond whenever I can. Do follow me on Facebook as I will be sharing updates and pictures there.
This spring, corn is making an early appearance in our grocery stores (fresh corn is like a summer staple here in Minnesota). In deciding to combine corn with tofu, I have in mind to provide a vegan and gluten-free version of an earlier recipe that I had published entitled Tofu Fish Balls. I must say that my carnivores at home were almost lulled into thinking that they were wolfing down their usual meaty fare. It was almost a gastronomic footnote for them to realize that they were in vegan-mode as far as this dish went.
Veganizing Meaty Dishes
By the way, this “veganizing” otherwise meat dishes is not a new phenomenon as the Chinese have been making vegetarian duck, chicken, fish, pork trotters(!) for centuries. It is always a fun challenge to re-create some of the look and taste of a familiar dish and adding a vegetarian twist to it. In many such recipes, soy products are king. Tofu and bean curd sheets have been the building blocks for providing both texture and sources of protein.
I added some Chinese chives for a slight garlicky aroma. The corn provided the sweetness and crunch. These delightfully tasty Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They were gone in a blink of an eye. 😉
Similar Tools Used in Making These Tofu, Corn, and Chive Fritters
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 12 oz extra firm tofu (well drained) (340g)
- 2 corn yielding about 1½ cups (250g) cooked corn kernels
- 1 oz Chinese chives (30g)
- 2 tbsp rice flour (16g)
- ½ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Boil corn in a large pot of water for about 7 minutes. When cooked, remove from pot and slice corn kernels from the cob.
- Process tofu in until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add corn kernels, Chinese chives, rice flour, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Heat canola oil in a deep pan. Using two spoons, shape heaping spoonfuls of tofu mixture into balls. Drop into hot oil and deep fry until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎