These Orange Blueberry Streusel Muffins are perfect for breakfast or snack time. Freshly squeezed orange…
Irresistible Turkey Satay marinated with spices and grilled on skewers. Delicious served with an easy Satay Peanut Sauce and chunks of cucumber.
The fourth week of November is the beginning of the year-end holiday season. This year there is a special anticipation at our house because Ro-Taro (eldest son) will soon be home from college for Thanksgiving. You can be sure that I will be cooking up a storm in the next few days.
This week is going to be a busy one for me. There is shopping, decorating, and baking to be done. I will be going to the store to pick up a fresh turkey for the big meal. A turkey for Thanksgiving is a must for my boys. How different from when I was growing up in Malaysia. In fact, I have never heard of Thanksgiving nor eaten turkey until my final year of secondary school (equivalent to high school here).
Turkey could only be purchased at specialty supermarkets and was something eaten by foreigners during Christmas as per the British custom. My first taste of turkey was at a friend’s house and I remember it was such a novelty. The turkey was chopped into small pieces and deep fried, much like fried chicken.
With Thanksgiving just days away, this month’s theme for World on a Plate is TURKEY of course! I am representing Malaysia and since turkey is not a meat commonly eaten there, I had to use some creative license to come up with a presentable dish. I decided on satay (grilled skewered meat) as turkey meat is similar to that of chicken and chicken satay is very popular in Malaysia. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised with how these Turkey Satay turned out.
I also made a simplified version of the satay peanut sauce using crunchy peanut butter. It turned out really well. Do not omit the peanut sauce as it is a must with satay. I think you will really enjoy this Turkey Satay. Do give it a try! 🙂
- 20 oz boneless turkey breast tenderloins (cut into bite sized pieces) (560g)
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
Satay Peanut Sauce
- 1 onion (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (sliced bottom third into rings)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup chunky peanut butter (120g)
- ½ to ¾ cup water (120ml to 180ml)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Soak 12 skewers in water for an hour.
- Blend the two onions and lemongrass in a blender or food processor with 2 tablespoons of water. Pour into a large bowl and remove half into a separate smaller bowl for the satay peanut sauce.
- Mix in ground coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and sugar. Add turkey and give it a good stir to get meat well coated with spices. Cover with plastic wrap and allow meat to marinate in refrigerator for at least an hour. It is best to marinade over night. The longer meat is marinated, the better the flavor.
- Thread 5 pieces of marinated turkey onto each skewer until all turkey pieces are used up.
- Grill chicken under broiler for 8 to 9 minutes on each side. Alternatively, cook turkey over barbecue grill brushing with vegetable oil. Turn the skewers frequently to prevent meat from burning. Turkey should be slightly charred on the outside and just cooked on the inside.
- Remove and serve immediately with satay peanut sauce, sliced cucumber, and onions.
Satay Peanut Sauce
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan. Stir fry blended onion and lemongrass for 5 to 6 minutes. Add peanut butter and ½ to ¾ cup (120ml to 180ml) water (depending on the kind of peanut butter used). Stir until combined.
- Add Sriracha sauce, tamarind paste, sugar, and salt. Reduce heat and allow it to cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.
And now for the winner of my Cookbook Giveaway. Drum roll please…..
Congratulations Hillary, commenter No. 14! You are the winner of my cookbook giveaway. Please send me an email with your address so that the Mum’s Not Cooking cookbook can be mailed to you as soon as possible. I can be reach at email@example.com. THANK YOU all for participating!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎