We all need to have one or two dishes to fall back on when given short notice of a pot-luck, gathering, or party. These quick and easy potato croquettes are just the thing as they can be made with pantry staples. I like to assemble them the night before and pop them in the oven 30 minutes prior to leaving the house. Of course deep frying is an option but I much prefer to stay cool and feel fresh for the event.
Croquettes make great finger food though they are not fancy or glamorous. Watch them disappear at a party. They are also a mainstay in the bento or lunchbox. Minced meat or vegetables may be used in place of tuna fish. By all means make your own mashed potatoes if you prefer. I do that too sometimes but hey, a girl needs a break once in a while!
I am excited to share with you that Roti n Rice has partnered with Ziplist to make the recipes on this blog even more useful to you. I have added a Save Recipe button so that you can save your favorite recipes to your on-line recipe box at Ziplist. When you do that the ingredients for that recipe will be added to your on-line grocery shopping list which you can access via your phone. Never miss an ingredient again! You can sign up for a free account with Ziplist here. I hope you find this feature useful.
Currently a third of my recipes have been converted. Please bear with me as I work to get the other two thirds done.
- 2 pouches (6.6oz/187g) instant mashed potatoes, any flavor
- 2 cups (480ml) water
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (28g) butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (5oz/142g) chunk tuna* in water, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup rice cereals, finely crushed or processed
- Bring water in a medium sized saucepan to a boil. Add milk and butter. Turn off heat and stir in both pouches of potato flakes until well blended. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a small saucepan. Sauté onions till soft and translucent. Add tuna, salt, and pepper. Give it a stir and turn off heat. Transfer to pot with mashed potatoes and mix till well combined.
- Place crushed rice cereals in a shallow bowl. When mashed potatoes mixture is cool enough to handle, shape into cylinders. Roll in rice cereals and place on a non-stick baking pan.
- Bake** in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
*These croquettes can also be dipped in egg, rolled in crushed cereals or breadcrumbs, and deep fried or pan fried.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)