I am so glad it is Friday and the weekend is just round the corner. The weather is supposed to be warmer next week and that makes me smile. I have to admit that the last two years of “milder” winters have caused my blood to “thin out” and so the cold seems a little harder to bear this year. So far, we have not had a ton of snow but it has been bitterly cold. Hopefully, we will not be slammed with a snow storm in the coming days as there is still two more months of winter left. The good thing though about living in a temperate climate is that the seasons do change and spring will soon be here.
I am thankful for modern amenities like furnaces and heaters. While it may be cold outside, it is warm and cozy in the house. I like to set the indoor temperature in the mid to high 60 degrees and put on a sweater. It feels very comfortable that way, and we can pretty much go about doing most things and eating most foods as in the summer time.
One of our favorite foods is fried rice. It is comfort food for my boys and I am not complaining. I have cooked up so many fried rice meals that I can almost do it in my sleep! It only takes minutes for me to whip up a batch and that includes chopping the vegetables, meat, and whatever I choose to throw into it. It also makes a great lunchbox meal with a side of fresh fruits.
This Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice I am sharing today is really easy. I used eggs instead of meat and so the prep time is even less. I love zucchinis in fried rice and use them often as they taste great and are so easy to prepare. Zucchinis are not common in Malaysia, at least it wasn’t back then. The first time I ever tasted zucchinis in fried rice was in Sydney, Australia at a distant relative’s home. It was delicious and I have loved it since!
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ½ cup (75g) frozen green peas
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups cooked white rice (preferably kept overnight)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large non-stick fry pan, heat canola oil. Fry garlic for about a minute. Add carrots, zucchini, and green peas. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan. Crack in the eggs. Then add cooked rice over eggs. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to get everything well mixed and cook until rice is dry and fluffy. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!