Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice

I am so glad it is Friday and the weekend is just round the corner. The weather is supposed to be warmer next week and that makes me smile. I have to admit that the last two years of “milder” winters have caused my blood to “thin out” and so the cold seems a little harder to bear this year. So far, we have not had a ton of snow but it has been bitterly cold. Hopefully, we will not be slammed with a snow storm in the coming days as there is still two more months of winter left. The good thing though about living in a temperate climate is that the seasons do change and spring will soon be here. :)

I am thankful for modern amenities like furnaces and heaters. While it may be cold outside, it is warm and cozy in the house. I like to set the indoor temperature in the mid to high 60 degrees and put on a sweater. It feels very comfortable that way, and we can pretty much go about doing most things and eating most foods as in the summer time.

Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice

One of our favorite foods is fried rice. It is comfort food for my boys and I am not complaining. I have cooked up so many fried rice meals that I can almost do it in my sleep! It only takes minutes for me to whip up a batch and that includes chopping the vegetables, meat, and whatever I choose to throw into it. It also makes a great lunchbox meal with a side of fresh fruits.

This Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice I am sharing today is really easy. I used eggs instead of meat and so the prep time is even less. I love zucchinis in fried rice and use them often as they taste great and are so easy to prepare. Zucchinis are not common in Malaysia, at least it wasn’t back then. The first time I ever tasted zucchinis in fried rice was in Sydney, Australia at a distant relative’s home. It was delicious and I have loved it since!

Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice

Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice

• 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small carrot, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • ½ cup (75g) frozen green peas
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 cups cooked white rice (preferably kept overnight)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)

In a large non-stick fry pan, heat canola oil. Fry garlic for about a minute. Add carrots, zucchini, and green peas. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.

Push the vegetables to the side of the pan. Crack in the eggs. Then add cooked rice over eggs. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to get everything well mixed and cook until rice is dry and fluffy. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove and serve immediately.

Zucchini and Egg Fried Rice

1. Haruna says:

Looks so good! Always game for fried rice B)

2. Dongxing says:

Now, that is a good way to get kids to eat zucchini. Combined with fried rice, eggs, carrots and peas, the dish would be a winner. I do like the colours.

3. wok with ray says:

It is also cold here in Southern California as I read your post, I guess I should not be complaining. This fried rice will definitely warm you up as it has all the hearty and healthful ingredients. Stay warm, Biren and have a good week ahead! :)

4. mjskit says:

Fried rice is an easy lunch for us whenever we have leftover rice. Quite versatile with the veggies. I love your use of peas and zucchini! I’ll have to give this recipe a try. Easy and tasty as all of your recipes are!

My boys love fried rice and I cook it often with lots of vegetables. It is fast food and comfort food rolled into one for us. :)

5. I’ve not tried adding zucchini to fried rice. In fact I rarely cook with it as it’s quite pricey here. I do like it though, especially briefly stir fried with lots of garlic. I like how it looks in your fried rice. Maybe I’ll try this some time….

I don’t remember seeing zucchinis during my last visit to Malaysia. Lots of cucumbers but not zucchinis. They would be expensive since they are imported. Cucumbers won’t work as there is too much liquid in them. I do hope you get to try zucchinis in fried rice some time. :)

6. Sandrine says:

Biren, in your cooking instructions you said add lemon pepper, is that a typo or you do add lemon pepper? I don’t see it in the ingredient section listed above. How much lemon pepper to add?
    I have a bottle of lemon pepper in my kitchen pantry, never really have a good use of it. Now I am curious.
    My mom makes the best fried rice, I feel like mine seems to be lacking in the ‘wok hei’. She has used the same wok and same stove at our place. I guess is mom’s invaluable cooking skills. Any tips about getting the good ‘wok hei’ in fried rice?
    Thanks for all the great recipes.

Sorry, that was a typo. I have corrected the recipe. However, you can always add a teaspoon of the lemon pepper if you like. I have done that before and it tastes great. Here is a Lemon Pepper Chicken Rice you may want to try.

“Wok hei” is hard to achieve unless you are using a gas stove and a well seasoned wok. I am not sure where you are writing from but if you are using an electric stove like most homes here in the US, then you can try using a flat bottom stainless steel pan. You will also need to use a lot more oil so that the rice does not stick to the pan.

• Sandrine says:

Hi Biren,
        Last night for dinnerI made fried rice with zucchini, even my hubby who does like zucchini said it was good in fried rice. I can’t stop eating the fried rice. Thanks for the great idea!
        My stove is gas stove. However, yesterday fried rice still not at par with Mom’s fried rice.
        BTW, Gong Xi Fa Cai!