This Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is an all season comfort food complete with carrots, celery,…
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Curry is a one-pot curry meal complete with vegetables. It looks just as tempting and delicious!
I have been putting my slow cooker to good use ever since I pulled it out of the lower shelf of the corner kitchen cabinet. It does get a little busy in the morning preparing the ingredients but once everything is in the slow cooker, it pretty much takes care of itself. It is comforting to know that dinner is cooking, not to mention the wonderful aroma coming from the pot while I go about the rest of my chores. In the evening closer to dinner time, I just need to cook a pot of rice and dinner is ready. Gotta love that! 🙂
Generally, pork and beef require longer cooking times but chicken cooks fairly quickly. I had thawed out the chicken thighs in the fridge the night before and so they were ready to go. As it has been so cold lately, I thought of a one-pot curry dish to warm up the belly and soul. I partially cooked the chicken by browning it but this step can certainly be omitted if you prefer. It would definitely simplify your preparation but you may have to leave the chicken in the slow cooker for a tad longer.
A Simplified One-Pot Chicken Curry Meal
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Curry is a simplified and adapted version of the Chicken Curry my Mom and I cook regularly. Traditionally, chicken curry consists only of chicken and potatoes but I wanted a complete one-pot meal. I added the carrots and peas for that purpose. Leave it out if you prefer not to have them in there. I use a lighter coconut milk and not coconut cream because of the longer cooking time in the slow cooker. If you are using the thicker coconut cream from the can, you may want to dilute it. For a thicker consistency in the gravy, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch into the coconut milk.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Curry
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3½ lbs chicken thighs (trimmed) (1.6 kg)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 small potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and cut into chunks) (optional)
- 1 medium onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 4 tbsp curry powder (25g)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1¼ cup coconut milk* (300ml)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (optional) (150g)
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken thighs. In a large pan, heat vegetable oil. Brown chicken thighs. Transfer to slow cooker insert. **
- Add potatoes and carrots to slow cooker insert.
- Remove excess oil, leaving about 2 tablespoon in the pan. Fry onions for about 2 minutes. Add curry powder and cinnamon stick. Continue to fry until fragrant, another 2 minutes. Pour coconut milk into pan. Add salt to taste. Turn off heat.
- Pour sauce over chicken, potatoes, and carrots in slow cooker insert. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours.
- After 2 hours, add frozen green peas and continue to let it cook for another hour.
A Mild Chicken Curry
In my books, this Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Curry is a relatively mild curry with no additional spices included in the mix even though it looks hot and spicy. Both Ro-Taro and Ro-Jiro can eat this comfortably without breaking into a sweat. 🙂 Serve it with lots of steamed white rice.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎