Usher in spring with this light and tasty Warm Asparagus and Wild Rice Salad. It…
This Warm Jicama and Cabbage Salad is an adapted version of the Jiu Hu Char using shrimps instead of pork belly and dried cuttle fish strips.
Jicama is a juicy, crispy, and sweet edible root with a yellowish paper like skin. Sometimes it is referred to as yam bean. In Southeast Asia, it is commonly known as bang kuang and is an essential ingredient for making spring rolls. Jicama is excellent eaten raw and is a superb snack. It also lends itself well in salads.
Filling for Lettuce Wrap
I like to prepare this Warm Jicama and Cabbage Salad in the warmer months. It is great as a filling for lettuce wrap. Ingredients such as minced pork and mushrooms are often included but I like to keep it light with just a little shrimp for added sweetness.
An Adapted Recipe Based on Jiu Hu Char
This recipe is based on a very popular Nyonya recipe, Jiu Hu Char (Stir Fry Jicama with Cuttlefish) which is often served during the Chinese New Year. Jiu Hu Char is more traditional and uses more ingredients. I think both are equally tasty.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Warm Jicama and Cabbage Salad
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- ½ lb shrimp (peeled and deveined) (225g)
- 1 medium jicama / bang kuang (about 1½ lbs/675g)
- 2 large carrots
- ½ head cabbage (finely sliced) (1 lb/450g)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions (finely sliced)
- Lettuce leaves for wrapping
- Half shrimp lengthwise so that it will curl when cooked.
- Peel jicama and grate into fine strips using a box grater. Do the same for carrots.
- In a wok or large pan, heat vegetable oil. Add garlic and onions and fry until fragrant.
- Add shrimps and cook till they curl.
- Add shredded jicama, carrots, and cabbage. Stir to mix well.
- Add salt and pepper and continue to cook for about 15 minutes over medium low heat.
- Stir in sliced green onions.
- Remove and serve warm with lettuce leaves if preferred.
Spoon Warm Jicama and Cabbage Salad onto lettuce leaves. Roll up and enjoy.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎