Quick and easy Beans and Vegetable Curry with long beans, chickpeas, tempeh, eggplant, and cabbage. Serve over rice for a delicious vegetarian meal.
There is still a lot of winter left in Minnesota. It started snowing again on Monday after a short break. While it is not below zero, the temperature right now is about 20˚F and it is cold by any standards. The snow has been falling steadily and is only expected to clear later tonight. There is easily another 8 to 12 inches of fresh snow on the ground.
A Vegetarian Curry
Going vegetarian when it is so cold outside can be a challenge, but it is a good thing especially after a “meaty” weekend. The addition of spices help warm and liven up this Beans and Vegetable Curry. Tempeh and garbanzo beans provide the bulk and texture, not to mention protein and fiber. Tempeh is tasty just pan fried and eaten on its own and I can snack on garbanzo beans or chickpeas. Both are great in salads.
Another wonderful ingredient is long or snake beans. These can be cooked till soft but they are delicious, crisp and tender, in stir fries. It is also a good addition, finely sliced, to omelets and fried rice.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Beans and Vegetable Curry
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
“Terre D’Umbria” 1-Handle Casserole Made of Terracotta (Earthenware) 21 Cm (8.5 Inches)
9″ Coconut Shell Long Handle Wooden Kitchen Cooking Ladle Spoons Utensils Set of 2
Handmade All Natural 4 Coconut Spoons, Serving wooden spoon
- 1 packet tempeh (cut into 2-in x 1-in x ¼-in pieces) (8oz/225g)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves (stem removed)
- 1 cup coconut milk (240ml)
- Salt to taste
- 1 can garbanzo beans / chickpeas (rinsed and drained) (15.5 oz/440g)
- 1 small Chinese eggplant (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 4 oz long beans (cut into 2-inch pieces) (115g)
- 3 jalapeno peppers (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 8 oz cabbage (sliced) (225g)
- 1 medium onion (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 inch ginger (30g)
- ¼ cup curry powder (25g)
- Blend onion, garlic and ginger with 2 tbsp water. Remove, pour into a small bowl. Mix with curry powder to form a paste.
- Brown tempeh on both sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil. Add curry paste and curry leaves and stir for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in coconut milk. Bring to a boil, season with salt.
- Add garbanzo beans, eggplant, and jalapeno peppers. Cover, reduce heat, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add long beans, cabbage, and tempeh and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with basmati rice.
Serve this Beans and Vegetable Curry warm over rice for a delicious vegetarian meal.
NOTE: This post was updated on September 24th, 2013 with new pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎