This Chicken Curry Pot Pie is warm, delicious, and full of flavor. The crispy puff pastry combines marvelously with the curry to make a tasty meal.
In Malaysia, Chicken Curryis a popular dish and filling for all kinds of pastries. There are Curry Puffs, curry buns, and curry meat pies. While most people in the US know of sweet dessert pies and folks in the UK enjoy savory meat pies, we love our Chicken Curry Pies.
A Match Made in Heaven
Chicken curry and pastry are a match made in heaven. Whether it is puff, shortcrust, spiral, or buttercrust pastry, they are all good with chicken curry filling. They are amazingly delicious hot out of the oven!
Those of us who used to live or currently lives in Petaling Jaya, a big suburb near Kuala Lumpur will recall Jaya Supermarket in Section 14. They used to have some of the most scrumptious chicken curry pies at their bakery made using puff pastry. As very few Malaysian families cooked with puff pastry, the pies were quite the treat. My brothers and I looked forward to eating them each time our parents went shopping there because they often brought home some of these delicious treats for us.
Chicken Curry Filling
I have several different versions of Chicken Curry recipes on this blog. For Chicken Curry Pot Pie, I recommend using this traditional Malaysian Chicken Curry with some additions for the filling similar to this Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Curry. Since the filling will be further baked in the oven, it does call for a little more gravy which you will see in the recipe card below.
Chicken Curry Pot Pie with Puff Pastry
Today, we can easily buy frozen puff pastry at the grocery store. This makes it so much easier for us to prepare this delicious pot pie at home. The main thing is to prepare the filling and the rest is just to put it together for baking. I hope you’ll give it a try.
Similar Tools Used in Making These Chicken Curry Pot Pie
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Individual Deep Pie Plate, Porcelain, 5 x 1 5/8 Inch
Calphalon Nonstick Bakeware, Mini Pie Pan, 5-inch (Set of 4)
Pyrex Prepware 1-Cup Measuring Cup
Chicken Curry Pot Pie
- 1 portion Chicken Curry
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (150g)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (9 oz/250g)
- 1 large egg (beaten with 2 tbsp water)
- Please cook curry as per Chicken Curry recipe. In Step 2, pour in 1 cup (240ml) water instead of just ½ cup (120ml) water.
- In Step 3 of Chicken Curry recipe, add carrots together with the potatoes, coconut milk, and salt. Bring it back to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add frozen green peas and cook for another 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fill 4 individual casserole dishes with prepared Chicken Curry. Cut puff pastry into 4 squares. Using a small knife, cut a cross in the middle of each puff pastry square.
- If you are using deep casserole dishes and the filling is not up to the top, then gently stuff each square of puff pastry into each of the casserole dishes.
- If you are using shallow casserole dishes like this Potato, Leek, and Chicken Pot Pie filled to the top, then top each casserole dish with puff pastry, trimming off the excess. Press or crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- Place casseroles onto a baking tray. Brush puff pastry with egg wash.
- Carefully transfer casseroles on baking tray to the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puff pastry is puffed up and golden brown in color.
Leave a Reply