This spicy tangy Shrimp and Eggplant Curry is delicious served with steamed rice and papadums.…
Quick and easy deep fried Golden Shrimp Puffs. Delicious served with sweet chili sauce. Perfect as an appetizer or a side dish.
The Reunion Dinner is one of the most anticipated events in the Lunar Calendar. Held on the eve of the Chinese New Year, it is a day where Chinese families gather to enjoy a sumptuous meal and usher in the new year. Auspicious sounding dishes (often homonyms that share the same pronunciation but have different meanings) are prepared and served to ensure that the new year is off to a good start.
Auspicious Sounding Dishes
Dishes like Yee Sang, also known as Lo Sang is a “prosperity toss” for an increase in abundance and Ho See Fatt Choy meaning “good affairs and good fortune” are desirable. Ingredients like whole chicken (completeness), whole fish (surplus), abalone (definite good fortune), and shrimp (happiness), to name a few, are often used. Hence today’s recipe, Golden Shrimp Puffs for a year fill with joy and happiness.
Golden Shrimp Puffs – A Childhood Favorite
These deep fried puffs were a childhood favorite. My brothers and I would eat them dipped in sweet chili sauce. They were so yummy!
In the recipe below, I used a mix of all-purpose and rice flour. The rice flour gives it a slightly crunchy exterior. It also helps to prevent the puffiness from collapsing when they are not eaten immediately.
Tools Used in Making These Golden Shrimp Puffs
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Golden Shrimp Puffs
- 24 large shrimp (peeled and deveined, with tails intact) (425g)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- Combine shrimp, salt, sugar, and ground white pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into another bowl. Break up the yolk with a fork or whisk. Add all-purpose flour, rice flour, baking powder, salt, and ½ cup (120ml) water. Stir to mix into a smooth batter.
- Heat 1 inch vegetable oil in a small pan. Place ¼ cup (33g) rice flour in a shallow bowl.
- Holding shrimp by the tail, dredge in rice flour. Then dip in batter and gently lower shrimp into hot oil. Repeat. Fry in batches. Do not over crowd pan.
- Fry shrimp puffs turning occasionally until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes each batch. Remove and drain on metal strainer.
- Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce.
Family Reunion Dinner
I made these Golden Shrimp Puffs for our family Reunion Dinner on Sunday. It was happiness to see the family enjoying them so much. 🙂 Do give it a try. I know you will enjoy them too.
Kiong Hee Huat Chai / Kong Hei Fatt Choy / Gong Xi Fa Cai / Xin Nian Kuai Le